The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

ST-70 and Sonus Faber

Brap
    Brap

ST-70 and Sonus Faber Empty ST-70 and Sonus Faber

Post by Brap Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Anyone run their ST-70 with Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 bookshelf's? Would like thought on that combination.
    Thanks!
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

ST-70 and Sonus Faber Empty Re: ST-70 and Sonus Faber

Post by Peter W. Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:23 pm

I will qualify this post by stating right up front - I have not heard these particular speakers!

That being written, on speakers in general, especially (relatively) tiny and (relatively) inefficient ones:

a) So much depends on the size of the room, placement of the speakers and the taste and preferences of the owner.
    b) As the manufacturer, following the wretched practice common to today, gives a frequency range, but not a dB range, it is likely that these speakers will be thin at the bass. If they are anything like the 1.5, they will be down about 10 dB at 45 HZ as the 1.5 is down 10 dB at the bottom of its claimed range (50 HZ).
    c) 35 watts will give 103.4 dB without clipping. The manufacturer suggests a minimum of 50 watts (105.9 dB), with the understanding that the transient associated with a snare-drum rimshot is 120 dB.

All that being written, and having heard the 1.5s, they are fine speakers for what they are. Their midrange is excellent and transparent. The highs are not strident and feel accurate. I would not have them, as I would not be happy having to go to the effort of adding a sub-woofer just to get full sound, and knowing that all my listening venues are either too small or far too large to do them justice.

As with speakers, especially - do not purchase without an audition, better, an audition in your listening room that extends for some time.

Best of luck. But from the statistics and 30,000 feet, this does not look like a very copacetic combination.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Thanks much Peter for your comments. I go back and forth between speakers in my set-up having Zu Druids positioned pretty correctly as my main listening set but once in awhile listen to Paradigm Studio 10's. Have a potential buyer for my 2A3 amp and the Paradigm's and was looking for a replacement bookshelf set. I have gone back and forth with a older Velodyne sub with this set-up too. Interestingly enough the Paradigm's recommend amp range of 15-100. I would think the SF would be about the same.
    Audition is the key here!!
    StevieRay

Post by StevieRay Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:41 pm

As you say, listening is key.  And try different taps!!

I gave up on bos speakers years ago, but I would love to hear something like KEF LS 50, Sonus Fabre, Harbeth, and Wharfedale Diamonds with my ST-120s

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:29 pm