The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

ST70 Possible power transformer issue - request for values - SOLVED

jrubin
    jrubin

ST70 Possible power transformer issue - request for values - SOLVED Empty ST70 Possible power transformer issue - request for values - SOLVED

Post by jrubin Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:22 pm

I'm leaving this information here for the benefit of others.  An Artifact of what happens should you accidentally wire an ST-70 with pins 3-4 of the EL34 backwards on all 4 tubes as falsly documented in my notes and noticed whilst reading resistance plate to plate. This issue is since resolved.

During project turnup I noticed that a single channel could not produce more that 8VRMS into an 8 OHM resistor during testing before falling apart.  Many overlooks have been done and one out layer is as follows on the following.
    Consider as well the following:

That this effects BOTH CHANNELS in and around 8VRMS independently, under the same load.
    Multiple rectifiers used to same effect
    Stable mains

A particular test of interest is posted below where the input sine wave is 760mV

The following comparisons are some test points at idle/biased with grounding plugs in versus this sine wave

QUADCAP
             rest               load .760v
    POS1    457       ->    434
    POS2    445       ->    416
    POS3    387       ->    362
    POS4    302       ->    283

output from phase inv = 28.76v (one log to one el34, both outputs match)

output from EL34 71.36 into auto transformer

output into 8 ohm load = 8.2vrms

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:32 pm