The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Volumn control upgrade

WPFW893FM

Volumn control upgrade Empty Volumn control upgrade

Post by WPFW893FM Mon May 27, 2019 2:43 pm

So I am using a Pas 3X pre along with a pair of Dynaco MK IV amps. Question is about the Pas 3X it is noisy and I clean it up but it always goes back to scratchy. That said what do most people do with this situation as far as what parts to use. Also what benifits will I get beyound no noise when using the volumn control.? Surrouding pcs of audio mentioned if interested.
    Thanks,
    WPFWFM
    peterh
    peterh

Volumn control upgrade Empty Re: Volumn control upgrade

Post by peterh Mon May 27, 2019 3:24 pm

WPFW893FM wrote:  So I am using a Pas 3X pre along with a pair of Dynaco MK IV amps. Question is about the Pas 3X it is noisy and I clean it up but it always goes back to scratchy. That said what do most people do with this situation as far as what parts to use. Also what benifits will I get beyound no noise when using the volumn control.? Surrouding pcs of audio mentioned if interested.
    Thanks,
    WPFWFM

No big problem, there is lots of faked or genuine alps pots out there.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/ALPS-Volume-control-27-Type-Dual-Potentiometer-50K-100K-500K-Round-shaft-PCB/173490642668?var=472512944674

This one comes optionally with a small board to make connections easier.
    Remember, you need 250k, and to be compatible you need a loudness tap.

ViperZ
    ViperZ

Post by ViperZ Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 am

Bought this pot last year, hopefully will install it this year. Has a loudness tap too.

Volumn control upgrade Img_2013
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Tue May 28, 2019 12:29 pm

Wow, I didn't know they made one with the loudness tap. Great find! I think it is nice to keep the original features of the PAS. The loudness, the high filter, the blend switching, and those wonderful X tone controls!
    WPFW893FM

Post by WPFW893FM Wed May 29, 2019 9:51 am

Yes I enjoy the pre amp it has its faults as far as age and older parts but those are not problems the way I look at things today. Anything old needs updates. I hope to go slow get some parts for the vol pot and look under the hood again but this pre and the IVs that I had Triode boards put in it sound nice. I like having those tone controls kept in there just me not saying everyone enjoys them but I do esp for recording.
    PFW

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 am