The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Tube socket extenders: Yea or Nay?

deepee99
    deepee99

Tube socket extenders: Yea or Nay? Empty Tube socket extenders: Yea or Nay?

Post by deepee99 Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:22 am

The top deck of both my VTA amps gets a tad warm, especially the ST-120 with its 6550-type tubes, which gets almost hot.
    Are tube socket extenders a useful adjunct on those big octals?
    I know they're great for tube-rollers, but I gave up that practice same time as I got rid of my baby rattler. But does separating output tube from direct heat from the chassis benefit?
    Please, no lectures about socket tension, etcl. Just a straight question.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Tube socket extenders: Yea or Nay? Empty Re: Tube socket extenders: Yea or Nay?

Post by Bob Latino Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:36 pm

deepee99 wrote:The top deck of both my VTA amps gets a tad warm, especially the ST-120 with its 6550-type tubes, which gets almost hot.
    Are tube socket extenders a useful adjunct on those big octals?
    I know they're great for tube-rollers, but I gave up that practice same time as I got rid of my baby rattler. But does separating output tube from direct heat from the chassis benefit?
    Please, no lectures about socket tension, etcl. Just a straight question.

Dave,

Tube amps do get warm especially in the summer time when the ambient temperature inside your home is higher. My opinion is to use one of those computer type fans to keep the air circulating around the amp. Personally I think the fan is probably a better idea than tube extenders.

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:48 pm

Thanks, Bob. The heat isn't worrisome; I just wondered if the socket extenders would help things run cooler. I do have extenders on my Mullard rectifiers, though. Heat wasn't the issues; studliness was.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:26 am

Socket Extenders add one more failure point, and one more friction-fit connection that will, inevitably, add (some amount of) additional resistance.

Resistance = heat.

I use socket-savers on my tube tester. Why? At a busy Kutztown session, it might see 150 tubes over the three days the meet runs. That is why such devices came about in the first place. Otherwise, not so much.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:13 am

Thanks gents for your quick replies. I'll leave things the way they are.
    Maybe, since the lifetime of pre-blight tubes is so long, I'll just solder them in place. Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:57 am