The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III

stewdan

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III Empty Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III

Post by stewdan Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:29 am

Question ---- has any body installed Pavel's A.B. Board on a Dynaco Mark III Amp and did it require an 1:1 isolation transformer?

Please let me know.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III Empty Re: Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III

Post by corndog71 Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:45 am

I think for the safety of the amps you’re going to need one for each.
    BryceJ

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III Empty Re: Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III

Post by BryceJ Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:18 am

stewdan wrote:Question ---- has any body installed Pavel's A.B. Board on a Dynaco Mark III Amp and did it require an 1:1 isolation transformer?

Please let me know.

I asked Pavel this question. His answer was "The original Dynaco do not have a DC filament connection to ground. They use a capacitor, which does not matter when connecting the AB module."

I hope this helps.
    stewdan

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III Empty Pavel's AB on Mkiii Amp

Post by stewdan Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:18 am

Hi Bryce  --- thanks for the reply, so you used his AB Board on a Mark iii?  

Which of Pavel's AB boards did you use, the rectangular shaped one or the one with the funny shape that sort of hugs the outline of the driver board??

Did you used the original Dynaco driver board or something else? I know you can used his AB board with the original driver board.

Please let me know,
    Stew
    BryceJ

Post by BryceJ Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:10 am

Hi Stewdan,

I have not installed Pavel's AB board on a Mark III.

I asking Pavel specifically about the Model AB-D-MKIII and Erhard Audio's comment regarding it: "It is important to note that the AB-D-MKIII MUST use an isolation transformer, as the Dynaco MKIII's filament supply is referenced to ground." Again, Pavel's answer was "The original Dynaco do not have a DC filament connection to ground. They use a capacitor, which does not matter when connecting the AB module."

Pavel's answer is exactly the opposite to Erhard Audio's comment. Take your pick.

Last edited by BryceJ on Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Clarification.)
    stewdan

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III Empty Pavel's AB-D-Mkiii

Post by stewdan Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:01 pm

Bryce --- for what it is worth, Pavel responded to some questions via a message and sent me this picture of the AB-D-Mkiii and the original dynaco Mkiii driver pcb:

https://gyazo.com/e84b9f56ea15e7c2cc8de1dc1ffb5f88.jpg

The capacitor that he is talking about is between the Red-Yellow and Yellow-Green Wires on the terminal strip.

Last edited by stewdan on Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    BryceJ

Post by BryceJ Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:19 pm

stewdan wrote:Bryce --- for what it is worth, Pavel responded to some questions via a message and sent me this picture of the AB-D-Mkiii and the original dynaco Mkiii driver pcb:

https://gyazo.com/e84b9f56ea15e7c2cc8de1dc1ffb5f88

The capacitor that he is talking about is between the Red-Yellow and Yellow-Green Wires on the terminal strip.

The capacitor that you are talking about has one leg tied to ground, the other let goes to the Yellow-Green wire which is the center tap of the filament supply. The Red-Yellow wire is just going to ground.

Your link did not work for me.
    stewdan

Pavel's Auto Bias on Dynaco Mark III Empty Pavel's AB board

Post by stewdan Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:57 pm

Bryce -- For whatever reason, I can use gyazo to look at pictures that I posted a week or 2 back for the SP12 in a PAT4 Chassis posting, but can't get it to work today for a new picture???

I forgot to tell you that Pavel's Picture, shows the Filament Outputs of the AB-D-Mkiii Board going to solder pads 8 and 9 of the original Dynaco Driver PCB.   Pads 8 & 9 are also connected to V1's Filament Pins (2 & 7).

Stew

https://gyazo.com/399d13b74d3d5ca14be1f7d3768ef197
    pavlikkkk
    pavlikkkk

Post by pavlikkkk Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:05 pm

BryceJ wrote:Hi Stewdan,

I have not installed Pavel's AB board on a Mark III.

I asking Pavel specifically about the Model AB-D-MKIII and Erhard Audio's comment regarding it: "It is important to note that the AB-D-MKIII MUST use an isolation transformer, as the Dynaco MKIII's filament supply is referenced to ground." Again, Pavel's answer was "The original Dynaco do not have a DC filament connection to ground. They use a capacitor, which does not matter when connecting the AB module."

Pavel's answer is exactly the opposite to Erhard Audio's comment. Take your pick.

It can be said that the AB-D-MKIII module operates in Dynaco MKIII without an isolation transformer. However, there have been some problems with Dynaco amplifiers in the past, so it is recommended to use a 1: 1 12VAC isolation transformer for safety.
    These transformers are sold by Erhard Audio:

http://www.erhard-audio.com/AutoBias.html

Pavel

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 pm