The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS

stevethemaestro

Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS Empty Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS

Post by stevethemaestro Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:45 pm

I am having a problem identifying a noise that appeared suddenly in the left channel of my PAS3. There is a constant low level noise similar to bacon frying, accompanied by occasional louder pops and static noises. This noise appears only in the left channel, is present on all inputs and does not vary with the volume setting. It is similar in character to the sound of a failing tube, but when the tubes are swapped it remains in the left channel.

I made a preliminary effort to find, perhaps, a loose connection by wiggling the tubes in their sockets. No change in the noise. The problem is with the high level board components somewhere after the volume control since the noise doesn't vary with the volume setting. It seems as if a part might be failing; any suggestions where to check first?

Thanks!

peterh
    peterh

Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS Empty Re: Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS

Post by peterh Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:24 pm

stevethemaestro wrote:I am having a problem identifying a noise that appeared suddenly in the left channel of my PAS3.  There is a constant low level noise similar to bacon frying, accompanied by occasional louder pops and static noises.  This noise appears only in the left channel, is present on all inputs and does not vary with the volume setting.   It is similar in character to the sound of a failing tube, but when the tubes are swapped it remains in the left channel.

I made a preliminary effort to find, perhaps, a loose connection by wiggling the tubes in their sockets.  No change in the noise.  The problem is with the high level board components somewhere after the volume control since the noise doesn't vary with the volume setting.  It seems as if a part might be failing; any suggestions where to check first?  

Thanks!

I would start replacing the plate resistors on the line board. One is 470k and
    the other 100k. 1/2w should do fine here
    470k has 180volt, 0.07w,
    100k 155Volt 0.24w

MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS Empty Re: Bacon/static noise in the left channel of my PAS

Post by MechEngVic Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:40 am

Any progress?

stevethemaestro likes this post

stevethemaestro

Post by stevethemaestro Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Yes, sorry!  Replacing the plate resistors solved the problem.  Thanks!
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:16 pm

stevethemaestro wrote:Yes, sorry!  Replacing the plate resistors solved the problem.  Thanks!

Peterh knows his stuff, he's helped me several times.
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:31 pm

There we go, Peterh. Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:08 pm