The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4

dalemurray
    dalemurray

Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4 Empty Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4

Post by dalemurray Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:08 pm

Basically the question is should I spend more money on output tubes or would I benefit by getting a more powerful rectifier - if I am phrasing that correctly?

I've had my ST120 for a couple years and wildly pleased with it.
    The other day I had a 6550WE red plate. After a bit of reading it appears I need to replace the 10ohm 2w resistor and I intend to replace the one bad tube with four new ones because, WHY NOT?

I have never "tube rolled" so I am going to lean on the greater knowledge of this group.

I imagine speakers and music should be considered when "rolling tubes"? It's all a sonic relationship.

My system
    Preamp: NAD C658 running Dirac Live
    Speakers: Goldenear Triton Five
    Subs: 12" sealed cabinets x2 powered by a Peavey CS800x (temporary power)
    Music: Mostly Tidal via Roon though have Pioneer Elite PD-65 cd player and an AT LP120 turntable.
    Artists: Tord Gustavsen Trio, Pink Floyd, Taylor Swift, Nora Jones, Lyle Lovett, Aurora, Beck - if it has imaging for days and sonically interesting, I'll listen to it.
    What are my goals: IMAGING & TONAL BALANCE.

I've spent years and years trying to setup a system that is balanced and the speakers disappear in the room. I finally have it; Tord Gustavsen Trio are 10' through the wall, Yello's Planet Da Da (flamboyant mix) has sound seemingly coming from behind me, and that low bass in Boz Skaggs "Thanks to you" rumbles my underside.

As of now the ST120 is delivering very little bass due to the 70hz crossover I set by Dirac to integrate my subs. I have, at times, disabled the subs and driven the Tritons full range but only for a few minutes at a time.  The bass output is impressive, the speakers and amp, but I have not done so at length.

In the future, however, with "Dirac Live with Bass Control" I'll have the option of delivering full range to the Triton Five's and Dirac will integrate the subs seamlessly. So, in the future the ST120 will be delivering full range output.

I could swing a set of GL KT88's, or a set of 6550WE's and a GZ33 without much concern but, I'm not sure what the benefits of either decision would be? I'm not even sure how a rectifier can affect the sound - from what I gather it has to do with headroom.

I plan on ordering parts on Tuesday, hopefully I will have some help from you folks by then.

Thanks
    corndog71
    corndog71

Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4 Empty Re: Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4

Post by corndog71 Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:20 pm

Maybe just start with replacing the tubes in that channel. Save the good one for emergencies.

Rabindu likes this post

dalemurray
    dalemurray

Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4 Empty Re: Tube Replacement: 6550WE with GZ33 or GL KT88 and 5AR4

Post by dalemurray Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:03 am

Only one red plated so I could replace just one, or get a matched set for the channel.

After two years averaging 15-25 hours a week of use in the first year, it may be time to replace them all?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 am