The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
stewdan
rudes
6 posters

VTA Driver Board

rudes

VTA Driver Board Empty VTA Driver Board

Post by rudes Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:28 am

Hey Guys, Is anyone familiar with this VTA driver board? I have never seen one with six trim pots. Also, the PS cap is not configured as it should be as far as I know based on their other boards. The jumper and resistor are in the wrong place. The resistor is a 6.8K instead of 2.2K. Also additional capacitance has be added to the CE 80/40/30/20 cap. When I turn one bias pot, it affects both tubes and I can not get them both up to bias at .4v. Would appreciate any input.VTA Driver Board Vta12
    VTA Driver Board Ps_cap12
    rudes

VTA Driver Board Empty Re: VTA Driver Board

Post by rudes Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:14 pm

Have 372 B+ at the board

Last edited by rudes on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
    stewdan

VTA Driver Board Empty ST70 VTA Board

Post by stewdan Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:40 pm

Hi ---- It looks like a VTA Board. I wonder if it was a prototype board??  Have you had it awhile or did you just get it and from where?

You might try contacting Roy Mottram directly and ask him  ==>>>>   roymottram@yahoo.com
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:29 pm

Is there a chance that the AC balance pots were put on the top side of the board instead of the bottom side?
    rudes

Post by rudes Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:20 pm

Yes, After looking at another amp I figured this person did install pots on top. Bias problem turned out to be a bad quad cap.

MechEngVic likes this post

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:55 am

That amp is an original Dynaco ST-70 which was upgraded with a VTA driver board from before 2012. Yes - This is one of the older VTA driver boards with an AC balance control. That AC balance control should have been placed on the BOTTOM of the driver board because once set, this pot should not be readjusted. If that pot is on the underside of the board, the owner is less likely to tinker with the pot once the board is installed into the amp. What you are supposed to do before you install this 10K pot is to measure from the center pin to the two outer pins and adjust the pot until both sides read equally. Ideally these should read 5.00K from center pin on each side but many times you get something like 4.92K per side when you adjust the pot so that the two measurements are equal.

The newer VTA boards (2012 to present) have a small LM334 integrated circuit that replaces this 10K pot on the older VTA boards. The LM334 will keep the current the same on both sides of the phase splitter part of the circuit automatically.

Bob

rudes likes this post

Jerry
    Jerry

VTA Driver Board Empty VTA board schematic for a ST70

Post by Jerry Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:21 am

Good day all... I recently picked up a half built ST70 clone at a garage sale. It came with some paperwork, but I'm not sure if it's all there. It appears that it has a newer VTA board and there lies the problem. It has a hand drawn picture of the VTA board with the upgrade wiring drawn in and it's not the clearest. Does anyone have a real schematic of the entire ST70 with the newer VTA board. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:05 am

Jerry wrote:Good day all... I recently picked up a half built ST70 clone at a garage sale. It came with some paperwork, but I'm not sure if it's all there. It appears that it has a newer VTA board and there lies the problem. It has a hand drawn picture of the VTA board with the upgrade wiring drawn in and it's not the clearest. Does anyone have a real schematic of the entire ST70 with the newer VTA board. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Post a photo of the top and the inside bottom of the amp on the forum here. I am sure that one of us can figure what version of the VTA driver board you have ?

Bob
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:53 pm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:45 am