The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
peterh
corndog71
Mr C
7 posters

6SN7s and Microphonics

Mr C
    Mr C

6SN7s and Microphonics Empty 6SN7s and Microphonics

Post by Mr C Thu Dec 31, 2020 7:05 pm

My SP-14 rings like a bell. I tap the case and it rings through the speakers. It comes from all the tubes it seems. I can tap each tube lightly and it rings through the speakers. Should I look for another set of tubes? Do the devices I've seen like silicon rings, a springy loop with wheels that ride on the tube etc work to any degree? Is this common for 6SN7s? I have Sylvania 6SN7 GTBs from the late 1940s
    corndog71
    corndog71

6SN7s and Microphonics Empty Re: 6SN7s and Microphonics

Post by corndog71 Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:46 pm

Yeah, I would recommend new tubes.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:24 pm

Mr C wrote:My SP-14 rings like a bell.  I tap the case and it rings through the speakers.  It comes from all the tubes it seems.  I can tap each tube lightly and it rings through the speakers.  Should I look for another set of tubes?  Do the devices I've seen like silicon rings, a springy loop with wheels that ride on the tube etc work to any degree?  Is this common for 6SN7s?  I have Sylvania 6SN7 GTBs from the late 1940s
    Tubes might acquire microphonics as time pass. One source is repeated heating and
    cooling that might move internals through the micas. Also vibrations can cause
    slipping agains micas. In both cases the tubes inner elements will get loose and can
    move by even the smallest vibrations.
    These is no cure but new tubes.
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:38 am

I find that microphonic tubes are usually only noticeable in the gain stages, so I suggest that before you replace the gain stage tubes you first simply swap the gain stage tubes with the buffer stage ones and see if it makes an improvement. They may be less microphonic.

BTW, looking at the SP14 PCB, the top tubes are one channel and the ones below are the other channel. The pair on the left are the gain stage and the pair to the right of them are the buffer stage and the single tube on the right is the rectifier.
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:55 pm

My ST-70 Series II sits close to my left speaker. When the music was really pumping, it would make my tubes ring. Putting soft, stretchy, silicone tube rings on all my tubes completely stopped the ringing. If you look around you can find these o-rings for just a few bucks on eBay. Just measure your tube's diameter and buy them a few millimeters smaller. Might be worth a try if your tubes are still in good shape and costly.
    Mr C
    Mr C

Post by Mr C Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:05 pm

Per Mijohn's advise I swapped the tubes left to right on the same channel and the microphonic was almost totally eliminated. I was hearing it out of the right channel. I swapped the left and right channel tubes and it followed the tubes, now coming out of the right channel. So I identified the offending tube. As long as that tube is in the buffer stage socket it's much better. Boy, when its in the gain position no matter where you tap on the amp it rings. Any of the tubes, on the PCB, on the chassis, it rings. Then it will feedback and fade away. Thats too bad. these where the selected nearly NOS Sylvania chrome dome tubes upgrade from Roy. Not a whole lot of hours on them either. So is it okay to run this tube till I get replacements? What are your favorite 6SN7s?
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:48 am

If that microphonic tube is behaving itself in the buffer position then leave it there, apart from being microphonic in a high gain application it's probably fine in a buffer stage and not electrically faulty.
    DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:56 am

Mr C wrote:Per Mijohn's advise I swapped the tubes left to right on the same channel and the microphonic was almost totally eliminated.  I was hearing it out of the right channel.  I swapped the left and right channel tubes and it followed the tubes, now coming out of the right channel.  So I identified the offending tube.  As long as that tube is in the buffer stage socket it's much better.  Boy, when its in the gain position no matter where you tap on the amp it rings. Any of the tubes, on the PCB, on the chassis, it rings.  Then it will feedback and fade away.  Thats too bad.  these where the selected nearly NOS Sylvania chrome dome tubes upgrade from Roy.  Not a whole lot of hours on them either.  So is it okay to run this tube till I get replacements?  What are your favorite 6SN7s?

Send the bad one back for a refund or replacement. I've had A LOT of trouble dealing with that guy. Not trustworthy.

I have a pair of those Sylvania tubes in a tube buffer. Very nice, warm tubes but I'd say Raytheon are a bit nicer.

KSMITH likes this post

KSMITH

Post by KSMITH Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:51 pm

Send the bad one back for a refund or replacement. I've had A LOT of trouble dealing with that guy. Not trustworthy.

Whoa, careful, Roy will have these posts removed.
    Mr C
    Mr C

Post by Mr C Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:38 pm

I have a set of Tung-Sols ordered. So if I under stand correctly, no need for matching between the gain and buffer tubes. As long as both gain tubes are matched and both buffer tubes are matched.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:28 am