The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

system break / burn in

Brap
    Brap

system break / burn in Empty system break / burn in

Post by Brap Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:00 am

We moved and my system was sitting in boxes for 5 months. All up and running now. Not sure if I do another break-in period or not. Same components, IC's and speaker cables (with the exception of a variac for the VTA ST-70). Thanks for your input.
    Dale Stevens

system break / burn in Empty Re: system break / burn in

Post by Dale Stevens Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:03 pm

Barp, define "break-in period" , don't understand what u're asking. Thx, Dale
    ltusler

Post by ltusler Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:31 pm

Since the component are not new, just idle for awhile, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:50 pm

Base on experience, new tube gear, and especially new speaker wires require a break-in period playing music (tons of theories on how to do that) to get "used" to each other. I foun after 200 hours on my VTA ST-70 it really "opened up". I just was not sure if equipment sat for awhile if that needed to be repeated. Thanks Itusler, appreciate it
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:55 am

Brap wrote:We moved and my system was sitting in boxes for 5 months. All up and running now. Not sure if I do another break-in period or not.  Same components, IC's and speaker cables (with the exception of a variac for the VTA ST-70).  Thanks for your input.

The actual room that a music system is in has a lot of influence on the sound of your system. You moved to a new home so now your music will probably sound slightly different.

Consider these things in comparing your old to your new listening room.

1. The dimensions of the room (L X W X H)

2. The furnishings in the room. (rugs, drapes, hardwood floors etc.)

3. The location of your speakers within the room (on the longer wall, on the shorter wall, speaker distance from the nearest wall, your listening spot within the room) all have an affect on the sound of your system. There is an old adage in home audio > "better an average audio system in a good room than setting up upper end audio system in a bad room"

Bob
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:19 am

Thanks Bob -- fully understand. I have quite a few differences from the previous room. This one has drop ceiling, carpet and drywall. I used some basics from audio literature for speaker placement for my initial trials. This room provides much more bass as you can imaging. Next I used the Nordst Systems Solutions disc to further tune placement. Added some window sheers which help with side wall and have better imaging. Did some experiments with fabric for the front wall since I had some low end reflection behind the speakers and ordered up some Audimute panels after discussions with them and Audio Solutions using their room calculations model. I am enjoying a very nice soundstage and have some specific digital and analog tracks I use as reference. Quite the difference from the last home. Have to thank you again for the Variac recommendation. Purchased the one you recommended and I am adjusting to 118VAC daily!. Crazy the 11VAC this house has, last place was +/- 2VAC. Appreciate your help and Happy New Year!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 3:20 pm