The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

how stable is original st70 with no load?

jimihendrix

how stable is original st70 with no load?  Empty how stable is original st70 with no load?

Post by jimihendrix Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:12 pm

Made a mistake this morning with an original st70. I accidently had it powered on without a load. Had the inputs shorted and it ran at idle for about 20 minutes without speakers connected. Its sounding fine after the mishap but I wonder if I did some damage that isnt evident yet.

Did I get away with murder?

how stable is original st70 with no load?  Empty Re: how stable is original st70 with no load?

Post by Guest Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:48 pm

Are you experienced?
    peterh
    peterh

how stable is original st70 with no load?  Empty Re: how stable is original st70 with no load?

Post by peterh Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:01 pm

jimihendrix wrote:Made a mistake this morning with an original st70. I accidently had it powered on without a load. Had the inputs shorted and it ran at idle for about 20 minutes without speakers connected. Its sounding fine after the mishap but I wonder if I did some damage that isnt evident yet.

Did I get away with murder?

As no signal was present there was no real danger.

10-E-C and jimihendrix like this post

jimihendrix

Post by jimihendrix Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:38 pm

Actually... it was only after i removed the shorting plugs and tried to give it a signal did i realize. So actually it was about 2 minutes with music trying to play before i realized.
    Ive read that you dont want to run it to clipping, i certainly didnt have to volume up very loud when i ran it for those few

Last edited by jimihendrix on Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:53 pm

They either are OK or they are not. If it plays and stays working you likely dodged the bullet you would have known it if it went south. Usually with great drama and fanfare. I would not worry about it. You would know it if something went wrong.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:05 pm

jimihendrix wrote:Actually... it was only after i removed the shorting plugs and tried to give it a signal did i realize. So actually it was about 2 minutes with music trying to play before i realized.

Does that mean i damaged something?

Ive read that you dont want to run it to clipping, i certainly didnt have to volume up very loud when i ran it for those few minutes.

Would damage be immediately apparent (ie smoke, red plate, etc) or could i have created an issue i will regret later?
    Probably not. Or most likely not.
    The effects of running tubeamp without load is that very high voltages might
    occur as there is nothing to discharge the energy. A transient will charge the
    transformer, and when it is over the energy has to go somewhere. Like
    an ignition coil. The damage use to be flash-over at the tube sockets or
    in the tubes. If bad luck is there it will flash over inside the output transformer.
    A flash at the tubesocket might be benign, a flash in a tube or transformer
    might destroy the component.
    If it sound good afterwards no harm seems to have occurred.

MarcVBelgium likes this post

jimihendrix

Post by jimihendrix Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:44 pm

Thx

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:26 pm