The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Bias instructions for VTA ST-120

jplunkettj

Bias instructions for  VTA ST-120 Empty Bias instructions for VTA ST-120

Post by jplunkettj Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:40 pm

I just received a used ST-120 amp and was wondering if there are any instruction videos available to take me through the biasing process.  This is the first piece of tube equipment that i have ever owned, so i am a complete novice.   I have watched a video for an ST-70 and understand the process, but my amp may be slightly customized to accomodate its wood case.  It has a wood surround and blue levers on the top of the amp next to the 4 KT 88 tube slots. I assume these are for biasing instead of the stock version?  Can anyone verify this for me? Any help is appreciated.  
    Thanks!
    peterh
    peterh

Bias instructions for  VTA ST-120 Empty Re: Bias instructions for VTA ST-120

Post by peterh Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:56 pm

jplunkettj wrote:I just received a used ST-120 amp and was wondering if there are any instruction videos available to take me through the biasing process.  This is the first piece of tube equipment that i have ever owned, so i am a complete novice.   I have watched a video for an ST-70 and understand the process, but my amp may be slightly customized to accomodate its wood case.  It has a wood surround and blue levers on the top of the amp next to the 4 KT 88 tube slots. I assume these are for biasing instead of the stock version?  Can anyone verify this for me? Any help is appreciated.  
    Thanks!
    Does'nt the seller provided documentation ? If not ask for it!

Post by Guest Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:41 pm

Are you Jim Plunkett? The QB that played in the NFL?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Bias instructions for  VTA ST-120 Empty How to bias a VTA ST-120 amp ?

Post by Bob Latino Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am

How to bias a VTA ST-120 amp.

Get your multitester and set the range for 0 to 2 volts DC scale. CONNECT THE SPEAKERS. Place the 5AR4 rectifier tube, the three 12AU7 driver tubes and the four 6550/KT88/KT120 output tubes in their sockets. Turn on the amp. Allow the amp to warm up for a minute and check to see that the 6550/KT88 tubes light up properly. Measure the bias on the LEFT output tubes by placing the BLACK NEGATIVE probe anywhere on the chassis and the RED POSITIVE probe in the hole marked “Biaset 1.56 v”. With a small screwdriver adjust the FRONT bias adjuster on the driver board closest to the front left tube. Turn the adjuster CLOCKWISE TO INCREASE BIAS. COUNTERCLOCKWISE WILL DECREASES BIAS VOLTAGE. Set the bias for .500 volts for the FRONT LEFT 6550/KT88/KT120 tube.  Now place the RED POSITIVE probe in pin 4 (which is on the opposite side of the power take off socket) and use the BACK LEFT bias adjuster to measure bias on the BACK LEFT output tube. Repeat this procedure on the two right output tubes.

Facts about bias below ..

Since all tubes share the bias current > as you adjust one tube UP, the other tubes will go DOWN very slightly. Go back and forth between the four output tubes until all are between .490 and .510 for the VTA ST-120.  That is plenty close enough. You will never all four output tubes to stay at .500 exactly. (Note > for the VTA ST-70 the bias recommendation is .400 VDC for each output tube)

As the amp warms up from a cold start, the bias will rise very slightly over the first half hour. After 1/2 hour recheck the bias and reset the output tubes so that all are between .490 and .510 VDC.

If all your tubes have a wandering bias UP or DOWN over time, then probably your line voltage is wandering UP and DOWN.

If just ONE tube just cannot be biased at .500, then that tube is probably bad or going bad OR possibly the 10 ohm 2 watt resistor that goes from pins 1/8 to chassis ground is bad and does not measure 10 ohms anymore.

If ALL tubes cannot be biased, then probably your rectifier has a problem.

Check your bias about once a month. As the output tubes wear in, the bias will change slightly.

Bob

jplunkettj likes this post

Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:59 am

Bob, shouldn't the inputs be shorted or connected to the preamp with no signal?

J, you can print the manual here from the main page under STICKY. Dale

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:37 pm

Dale Stevens wrote:Bob, shouldn't the inputs be shorted or connected to the preamp with no signal?

J, you can print the manual here from the main page under STICKY.  Dale

Dale > Yes - I failed to mention that.

Bob

jplunkettj

Post by jplunkettj Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:27 pm

Thanks to Bob Latino for the bias instructions and to Dale Stevens for noting to make sure I have it connected to the preamp as well. I will look for the manual on the main page under Sticky No, unfortunately I am not Jim Plunkett of the Oakland Raiders.
    The prior owner of the amp has been very helpful and I'm sure will give me a better explanation in further communications, but he is a doctor in the thick of things right now and it takes a little time to get a response. I wanted to get my ducks in a row as i wait for the new tubes to arrive that were included in the amp purchase. I do hear an ominous sound of something small and loose rolling around inside the chassis, so I will open it up and see what is going on before I hook it up.
    Thanks for the help.
    Jack
    DavidR
    DavidR

Post by DavidR Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:29 pm

IIRC, you should have speakers connected to the amp. Pre amp OFF

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:57 am