The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Sovtek KT88 with kit

vegaseddoc

Sovtek KT88 with kit Empty Sovtek KT88 with kit

Post by vegaseddoc Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 am

I really like the Sovtek KT88's that came with the ST120 kit. I wanted to see is if I could "upgrade" the sound so I was recommended a set of Shuguang KT88-98's. I found them to be harsh and bright even after a long break-in period. So I went back to the Sovtek's and the liguid smooth natural sound returned. I know Bob loves the Gold Lion KT88 but is there that much of an improvement over the Sovtek's? I tend to like smooth natural sounding tubes (for example I use Mullard 12at7's in my ST120).
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Sovtek KT88 with kit Empty Re: Sovtek KT88 with kit

Post by Bob Latino Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:15 am

Hi,

The Sovtek KT88 tubes are not only excellent tubes for the money, they are also pretty durable tubes and should last 2000 - 3000 hours in your ST-120.

The Genalex Gold Lion KT88's are about $200 a quad, about double the price of the Sovtek KT88's. They offer a subtle increase in sound quality over the Sovtek's. To get the nth degree of sound realism from your ST-120 you need a tube like the Gold Lion KT88's. The Sovtek's are situated right at the bend of the price/performance curve. To get noticeabley better sound you have to spend a lot more money.

Interestingly, in the VTA ST-70 and the ST-120, changes in the CENTER 12AT7 have possibly even more influence on the amp's sound quality than changes in the output tubes. My favorite 12AT7 in that center spot (until I hear something better) is the Mullard CV4024 which is a 12AT7 equivalent tube.

Bob
    vegaseddoc

Post by vegaseddoc Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:12 pm

Thanks for the info. I've tried Telefunken, Seimens, Sylvania gold 6201's, and Mullards at the center position and I always come back to the Mullards (CV4024 being the best bang for the buck). I'll order a quad of Gold Lion KT-88's.

Jason

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:01 pm