The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

ST-35 Power supply

soundz915

ST-35 Power supply Empty ST-35 Power supply

Post by soundz915 Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:56 pm

I am curious if any has tried to do the power supply for a ST-35 outboard bigger transformer and such.

Scott Pike
    daveshel
    daveshel

ST-35 Power supply Empty Re: ST-35 Power supply

Post by daveshel Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:18 pm

I'm working on my second ST-35. My first build was a wreck when I bought it. I replaced the audio boards and added the Gillespie EFB add-on board, which beefs up the power supply by adding capacitance.

My newer unit is a refurbished original. Caps were upgraded, out of spec resistors were replaced. This unit has the same sweetness in the mids and highs, the same great detail and soundstage. But the power supply is a bit saggy compared to my previous EFB unit - it lacks a bit of punch.

My read on this is that the transformer was adequate to the task - a view that is consistent with the respect the ST-35 iron has garnered over the years. But the ST-35 had to make a price point under that of the ST-70, so they had to keep it cheep. No power switch. No bias adjustment. An under-engineered power supply. The EFB addresses two of these issues, and I'll be using it again on my new build.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 am