The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Hops
Rick Green
fedoragent
Bob Latino
8 posters

New Copper Cap rectifier in town !

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

New Copper Cap rectifier in town ! Empty New Copper Cap rectifier in town !

Post by Bob Latino Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm

I just looked at the Weber rectifier page and they are "out of stock" on virtually all their copper cap solid state rectifiers. I am wondering if they are just going to stop making them ? See link below..

Weber solid state rectifiers

There is a new copper cap rectifier in town (in kit form to save money.) This rectifier is sold on Ebay by Dynaco amp tech Rick Green and is a clone of the Weber WS-1 with a thermistor. These are well made and work well. He has low stock right now on these but has told me that he will have more to sell in a couple of weeks. Check them out at the link below.

Copper Cap rectifier on Ebay

Email Rick through Ebay if you have any questions about his "copper cap" solid state rectifier.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:50 am; edited 2 times in total

fedoragent and 10-E-C like this post

fedoragent

New Copper Cap rectifier in town ! Empty Re: New Copper Cap rectifier in town !

Post by fedoragent Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:12 pm

It's completely sold out!

FG.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:32 pm

fedoragent wrote:It's completely sold out!

FG.

Yes - It may be completely sold out now but he assured me that he would have more stock soon ..

Bob

fedoragent likes this post

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:09 pm

Thank you sir!
    Rick Green
    Rick Green

New Copper Cap rectifier in town ! Empty Copper Cap Rectifier Kits

Post by Rick Green Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:34 pm

Hi Everybody

I just wanted to give an update.
    The kits should be back on eBay by the end of next week I am currently waiting for the copper caps and the thermistors.
    Winter weather seem to be slowing everything down unfortunately.
    Thank you for the support
    Rick

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:20 pm

Thank you Rick!

FG.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:27 pm

This new solid state rectifier kit is now back in stock at the Ebay link below ...

Solid state rectifier kit on Ebay

Bob

fedoragent

Post by fedoragent Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 pm

Bob Latino wrote:This new solid state rectifier kit is now back in stock at the Ebay link below ...

Solid state rectifier kit on Ebay

Bob

HUZZAH! Bought!

FG.
    Hops

Post by Hops Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:34 pm

Just ordered two. In case my Tungsol Rectifier dies ( which it will eventually). Continue to play music until I can order another Tungsol from McShane.
    Section1

Post by Section1 Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:42 am

I ordered one to try also. Should arrive this weekend.
    Tom Pickett
    Tom Pickett

Post by Tom Pickett Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:45 pm

More then likely due to COVID ? They'll be back instock soon.
    Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:00 pm

I just ordered one...Back in stock as of 3-3-21 / 9pm EST
    Hops

Post by Hops Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:07 am

Mine arrived yesterday. Looks like it will go together well. Any ideas for a clear coating that will prevent corrosion and handle the temperature?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Here is an instruction video which shows how to put the Copper Cap solid state rectifier kit together. An easy build ..

These are presently available on Ebay at the link below ..

Copper Cap rectifier KIT on Ebay

Bob

Last edited by Bob Latino on Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

pedrocols, Tom Pickett and Section1 like this post

medphys

Post by medphys Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:55 am

I bought one of these kits but I have a question. The diodes are nice and beefy but the leads on the thermistor are about the thickness of a human hair. I looked up the specs and it's rated for 1A and I'm assuming the PS draws less than this but I'd like to know how much it (VT70) typically draws.

Another interesting thing... I wondered how much it would cost to make my own copy of this kit and the thermistors seem to be back-ordered until the summer. Supply chain issues???
    Rick Green
    Rick Green

New Copper Cap rectifier in town ! Empty Solid State Rectifier specs..

Post by Rick Green Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:43 pm

medphys wrote:I bought one of these kits but I have a question. The diodes are nice and beefy but the leads on the thermistor are about the thickness of a human hair. I looked up the specs and it's rated for 1A and I'm assuming the PS draws less than this but I'd like to know how much it (VT70) typically draws.

Another interesting thing... I wondered how much it would cost to make my own copy of this kit and the thermistors seem to be back-ordered until the summer. Supply chain issues???

The EL34 draws less than 100ma with 400V @ maximum output and the additional 12AU7's draw less than 10ma at the same voltage so total current is about 430ma @ 400V. The solid state rectifier was designed to have twice the power handling requirement for this amplifier stock. The cost to buy the parts is actually a little over $10 plus printing instructions buying tape and packing paper etc... so if you want to go for it. The great part is I have done the sourcing and research for you so for $19 plus shipping its a deal. IMHO

Rick

mijohn likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:02 am