The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Does heater phase matter?

bobgroger

Does heater phase matter? Empty Does heater phase matter?

Post by bobgroger Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:38 pm

Working on the ST-120 today. I started wondering since there are 2 6.3v heater windings does the phase matter between the windings, and even between the tubes? I am thinking that since the tubes are indirectly heated probably not, but it seems the hum could be additive or cancelling depending on how it is wired. Am I overthinking this?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Does heater phase matter? Empty Re: Does heater phase matter?

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:41 pm

bobgroger wrote:Working on the ST-120 today. I started wondering since there are 2 6.3v heater windings does the phase matter between the windings, and even between the tubes? I am thinking that since the tubes are indirectly heated probably not, but it seems the hum could be additive or cancelling depending on how it is wired. Am I overthinking this?

Bob,

On the octal output tube sockets pins 2 and 7 are the filament or heater pins. When the manual tells you to connect the two twisted wires to pins 2 and 7, it does not matter which wire is connected to pin 2 and which wire is connected to pin 7.

Note 1 - if there was a difference, then the assembly manual would mention the difference.

Note 2 - If the manual does not mention about twisting wires, then it is unnecessary to twist the wires.

Bob

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 6:09 am