The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Seeking intel/details for a SP14 build

Soltung

Seeking intel/details for a SP14 build  Empty Seeking intel/details for a SP14 build

Post by Soltung Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:06 am

I'm evaluating a build of a SP14 & wanted to ask those w/ experience a few questions:

- Am I understanding that the Pair of 6SN7 tubes on the left side are the only (2) tubes that really can be "rolled?" If I wanted to roll, I could leave the other (2) tubes that buffer in place or do i have to swap all 4?  Also, can  12SN7 tubes be substituted for 6SN7?

- Does anyone have some recommendations on what vendors sell appealing enclosures that might have some walnut bases, etc... not expensive?

- Does the Khozmo volume pot offer a sonic improvement?  I think it's like +$120 vs. the stock one offered?  What's the allure of the upgrade?

- Am I understanding correctly that I could wire (2) distinct pair of output caps to each pair of output RCAs in order to compare the sonics of each pair?  If not, how is that done?   Does anyone know the specific caps that Don Sachs has been using as of late that he refers to as "Polish Duelund Caps?"  Possibly interested in comparing these to the Mundorf Silvers....

Apologies for the laundry list, I'm new to vacuum tube audio, and value all of your experience & guidance.  cheers,
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Seeking intel/details for a SP14 build  Empty Re: Seeking intel/details for a SP14 build

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Hello Soltung,
    you'd get much faster and more accurate info asking the source directly, that's me.
    Any of the tubes can be "rolled".
    The two tubes closest to the inputs are the voltage amplifiers, the two tubes closer to the center are output buffers (no gain).
    The rectifier tube is 6X5GT, no substitutes without rewiring and/or adding another power transformer.
    I haven't found that a $100 Bendix tube sounds any better than a $5 generic tube, but maybe someone with incredible ears and $10K speakers might debate that.
    At least 95% of the sound quality comes from the two input tubes, and the two output capacitors.
    The $195 or $295 (remote) Khozmo is a HUGE improvement over the stock attenuators, but probably not something you'd notice with average ears and $1000 speakers.
    However, the FEEL of the volume control is also a HUGE improvement, so it's like driving a Porsche instead of a VW bug. Also the Khozmos have either 48 step or 64 steps
    instead of 21 steps. Do you want 3 steps from full volume to half volume, or do you want more like 10 or 12 steps to half volume?
    The "Polish Dueland Caps" that Don Sachs uses are on my SP14 page for a $60 upgrade price. Very similar sound the Mundorf silver-oil caps for less $$.
    Yes, you can have both, and you can compare the way they sound by switching between outputs on the preamp.
    Roy www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14.htm

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:35 pm