The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
Chad Spackman
Hops
Bob Latino
grosen
8 posters

ST120 click/flash in one tube

grosen

ST120 click/flash in one tube Empty ST120 click/flash in one tube

Post by grosen Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:22 am

Hi all,

My ST120 has been trouble free since I built it, but just now I had a click and a flash in one tube (KT120), and now that socket won't bias.  (I get a reading of 20V or so.)  The problem doesn't follow the tube.  Can someone give me a clue about what to check first?  

Thanks,

Gideon
    grosen

ST120 click/flash in one tube Empty Re: ST120 click/flash in one tube

Post by grosen Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:43 am

I just flipped it over and checked the obvious thing: the 10 ohm resistor to ground from pin 8 on that socket is open.  So I assume that's either the problem or a symptom of the problem.  Should I just replace it and see what happens?  Any idea what would cause the resistor to fail?   Thanks in advance!

Gideon
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:47 am

grosen wrote:Hi all,

My ST120 has been trouble free since I built it, but just now I had a click and a flash in one tube (KT120), and now that socket won't bias.  (I get a reading of 20V or so.)  The problem doesn't follow the tube.  Can someone give me a clue about what to check first?  

Thanks,

Gideon

Hi Gideon,

The 10 ohm 2 watt resistor on the tube socket that goes from pin # 8 to chassis ground is probably bad and does not measure 10 ohms anymore. Check to see if it measures 10 ohms. If it does not, you can get a few very cheaply at the Ebay link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2W-2-Watt-1-Tolerance-Metal-Film-Resistor-5-Pieces-USA-SELLER/183421853100

Be sure to select 10 ohms from the drop down menu ..

NOTE - when that 10 ohm resistor is damaged, it usually indicates that the tube that was in that socket and gave a "flash" has an issue. I would replace that tube.

Bob

Tom Pickett likes this post

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:50 am

The tube that was in that socket at the time of the flash is most likely bad. It may bias OK after you replace the resistor but I would not trust the tube that was in there anymore.

Bob

Tom Pickett likes this post

grosen

Post by grosen Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:51 am

Thanks, Bob. I'll replace the resistor and the tube. — Gideon

Hops

Post by Hops Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:35 pm

While I think replacing the resistor and the tube is necessary, I would also re-tension the pins in the bad socket and clean them with deoxit or other good contact cleaner. I would also check the incoming voltage of the power ( I forget what Bob recommends, but 119 V or less should be good, and make sure the bias is at Bob's recommendation or a little less - I think the target is 0.5 Volt. Tubes are expensive, and you want to rule out anything that can make tubes more likely to fail.
    Chad Spackman

Post by Chad Spackman Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:54 am

Just had one of my 10 ohms go in a VTA-120. Of note: pins 1 (tube frame) & 8 (cathode) of the KT88 are tied together. With cathode not tied down by 10 ohm, it and the frame wonder up to B+. There is no appreciable source of current there until it drops to under about 50v or a bit less. So it's not gonna hurt too much
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:12 pm

I took measurements on some KT-88s and KT-120s that I have on the shelf and NONE of them are connected from pin 1 to pin 8. Some are connected from pin 1 to the base of the tube though. The KT-88s are Golden Dragon and Sov Tec. The KT-120 is Tung Sol. Are all of your tubes like this? Maybe you have a shorted tube.
    Chad Spackman

Post by Chad Spackman Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:09 pm

This is vta-120 specific.  1 and 8 are connected within the amp, by design

Last edited by Chad Spackman on Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:32 pm

I consulted with Roy Mottram just to be sure before answering here ... On an EL34 (and also on 6L6GC) pin 1 is tied to the screen grid (pentode) and should NOT be left unconnected. These tubes are almost always connected to cathode on 90% of tube amps out there. On all KT88, 6550 and KT120's pin #1 has no internal connection to any other pin although some brands of these three tubes do connect pin 1 to the metal base of the tube. It is better to connect pin #1 to pin #8 so that both are near 0 volts rather than having them floating above chassis ground. If you connect pin 1 and 8 together, you can then use virtually any type of octal output tube in a Dynaco or VTA amp.

Bob
    Chad Spackman

Post by Chad Spackman Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:25 pm

Thanks Bob. Just to be clear, I was in no way questioning the wisdom of connecting pins 1 and 8 and your detail here of various tube types makes perfect sense. I just happened to be using the frames to look at the bias as I’d not yet put in the standard test points. And with an open 10 ohm I noted the high voltage, which of course also makes sense
    Chad Spackman

Post by Chad Spackman Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:07 am

A question related to the flashover. In my case it was a 6550. New tubes. Installed, biased, and idled for about 30 minutes. Started listening and while turning up the volume, one tube flashed. My question: are 6550s more susceptible flashover this than kt88s? With a static plate voltage of mid 500 volts, there is going to be a positive voltage during AC swing on the non-driving tube to well over 600v, which appears to be the limit on 6550s.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:51 pm

Chad Spackman wrote:A question related to the flashover. In my case it was a 6550. New tubes. Installed, biased, and idled for about 30 minutes. Started listening and while turning up the volume, one tube flashed. My question: are 6550s more susceptible flashover this than kt88s? With a static plate voltage of mid 500 volts, there is going to be a positive voltage during AC swing on the non-driving tube to well over 600v, which appears to be the limit on 6550s.  
    6550 should not flashover. Ask for warranty replacement a tube with same matching parameters .

corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:04 pm

This can happen to any tube. Most tubes are not made with white gloves. Debris happens.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:00 pm

corndog71 wrote:This can happen to any tube.  Most tubes are not made with white gloves.  Debris happens.
    Might be. But tube is junk and should be scrapped.
    Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:33 pm

Bob Latino wrote:I consulted with Roy Mottram just to be sure before answering here ... On an EL34 (and also on 6L6GC) pin 1 is tied to the screen grid (pentode) and should NOT be left unconnected. These tubes are almost always connected to cathode on 90% of tube amps out there. On all KT88, 6550 and KT120's pin #1 has no internal connection to any other pin although some brands of these three tubes do connect pin 1 to the metal base of the tube. It is better to connect pin #1 to pin #8 so that both are near 0 volts rather than having them floating above chassis ground. If you connect pin 1 and 8 together, you can then use virtually any type of octal output tube in a Dynaco or VTA amp.

Bob

Bob,

I think you meant pin 1 is connected to the SUPPRESSOR grid, not the screen grid.

Also, you can use an ohmmeter to check if pin 1 is connected to the metal base - just connect the meter from pin 1 to the base and see if you have continuity.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:18 pm

Jim McShane wrote:
    Bob Latino wrote:I consulted with Roy Mottram just to be sure before answering here ... On an EL34 (and also on 6L6GC) pin 1 is tied to the screen grid (pentode) and should NOT be left unconnected. These tubes are almost always connected to cathode on 90% of tube amps out there. On all KT88, 6550 and KT120's pin #1 has no internal connection to any other pin although some brands of these three tubes do connect pin 1 to the metal base of the tube. It is better to connect pin #1 to pin #8 so that both are near 0 volts rather than having them floating above chassis ground. If you connect pin 1 and 8 together, you can then use virtually any type of octal output tube in a Dynaco or VTA amp.

Bob

Bob,

I think you meant pin 1 is connected to the SUPPRESSOR grid, not the screen grid.

Also, you can use an ohmmeter to check if pin 1 is connected to the metal base - just connect the meter from pin 1 to the base and see if you have continuity.

Hi Jim,

Yes - you are correct .. Pin 1 is connected to the suppressor grid. I must have read incorrectly what Roy Emailed me ..

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:51 pm