The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs?

JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs? Empty Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs?

Post by JunkyJan Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 am

Hello Bob and all,

I have started work on a set of Mark 3 monoblock amps, and I am planning to add a Triode/Ultralinear mode switch to both.

What should the specs be for the actual toggle switch? I have sourced a DPDT toggle switch from a local electronics store that physically looks identical to the ones supplied in your ST-70 kit and is spec'ed as follows:
    "125 VAC 6 Amp
    250 VAC 3 Amp"

(and I guess that it should be able to handle 1.5A @ 500 Volts)

Is that acceptable?

-- JunkyJan
    BC, Canada
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs? Empty Re: Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs?

Post by Bob Latino Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:31 am

JunkyJan wrote:Hello Bob and all,

I have started work on a set of Mark 3 monoblock amps, and I am planning to add a Triode/Ultralinear mode switch to both.

What should the specs be for the actual toggle switch? I have sourced a DPDT toggle switch from a local electronics store that physically looks identical to the ones supplied in your ST-70 kit and is spec'ed as follows:
    "125 VAC 6 Amp
    250 VAC 3 Amp"

(and I guess that it should be able to handle 1.5A @ 500 Volts)

Is that acceptable?

-- JunkyJan
    BC, Canada

Hi Jan,

That switch will work fine as a triode/pentode switch.

Bob

JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs? Empty Re: Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs?

Post by JunkyJan Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:55 am

Bob Latino wrote:That switch will work fine as a triode/pentode switch.

Thanks a ton for the information, Bob - much appreciated!

-- 'Jan
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Post by JunkyJan Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi Bob and all

More questions: You recommend a 100 Ohm / 1 Watt resistor to be used to "tie the plates together" when running in Triode mode.

1) Would a Carbon Film resistor (1 watt) work?
    2) I have a whole bunch of 100 Ohm 2 Watt Metal Oxide power resistors, will that work too?
    3) Same spec whether you use it in a ST-70 or a Mark III?

Thank you for your time & advice :-)
    -- 'Jan in BC, Canada
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:08 pm

JunkyJan wrote:Hi Bob and all

More questions: You recommend a 100 Ohm / 1 Watt resistor to be used to "tie the plates together" when running in Triode mode.

1) Would a Carbon Film resistor (1 watt) work?
    2) I have a whole bunch of 100 Ohm 2 Watt Metal Oxide power resistors, will that work too?
    3) Same spec whether you use it in a ST-70 or a Mark III?

Thank you for your time & advice :-)
    -- 'Jan in BC, Canada

Hi Jan,

What you do is disconnect the GREEN or GREEN/WHITE wire at pin #4 of each output tube and insulate the end so that it can't short out to the chassis. You then tie the plate (pin #3) of each output tube through a 100 ohm resistor to the SCREEN (pin # 4).

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Yes

Some "Dynaco Dudes" even suggest a 100 ohm 1/2 watt resistor but there is a lot of heat under that chassis and IMHO you are better off with a 1 watt (or higher) resistor to make the triode connection.

Bob
    JunkyJan
    JunkyJan

Triode/Ultralinear mode switch specs? Empty Thanks a ton, Bob!!

Post by JunkyJan Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:48 pm

Thanks Bob - very much appreciated! I'll be running it through a switch so that I can still switch back to the ultra-linear tap, same as your ST-70 kit works.

Again, thanks a ton!
    -- 'Jan

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:33 am