The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause?

sayntjack

My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause? Empty My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause?

Post by sayntjack Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:24 pm

A few months ago I completed a full rebuild of my buddy's MkIIIs using the VTA boards.  After 20+ hours of break-in their sound was like a resting giant - definitely big and powerful sounding but rather sleepy.  Some background - I have built / rebuilt several MKIIIs using original iron but with either a driver of my own design or the Triode Electronics driver board.  Also, I have rebuilt my Dynaco ST-70 using the VTA board of the same circuit design as the MKIII board.  All of these amps have sounded great - fast, big open sound stage, etc., but not my buddy's.  I have tried different tubes, rechecked the circuit and voltages and measured the turns ratio of the transformers.  All is what it should be.  10kHz square wave is respectable.
    One thing that I noticed however which could be the issue is the low amount of global NFB.  From my measurement and calculation it's only 4.4dB or basically nothing which may not work with the KT88s running UL mode.  I wrote Roy about this in December but didn't receive any reply.  Comments would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jack

doncrossman likes this post

doncrossman

My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause? Empty Re: My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause?

Post by doncrossman Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 pm

I love to see an answer on this topic
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause? Empty Re: My MkIIIs with VTA Board Sound Uncharacteristically Too Laid Back - Cause?

Post by Bob Latino Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:29 am

sayntjack wrote:A few months ago I completed a full rebuild of my buddy's MkIIIs using the VTA boards.  After 20+ hours of break-in their sound was like a resting giant - definitely big and powerful sounding but rather sleepy.  Some background - I have built / rebuilt several MKIIIs using original iron but with either a driver of my own design or the Triode Electronics driver board.  Also, I have rebuilt my Dynaco ST-70 using the VTA board of the same circuit design as the MKIII board.  All of these amps have sounded great - fast, big open sound stage, etc., but not my buddy's.  I have tried different tubes, rechecked the circuit and voltages and measured the turns ratio of the transformers.  All is what it should be.  10kHz square wave is respectable.
    One thing that I noticed however which could be the issue is the low amount of global NFB.  From my measurement and calculation it's only 4.4dB or basically nothing which may not work with the KT88s running UL mode.  I wrote Roy about this in December but didn't receive any reply.  Comments would be appreciated.  Thanks, Jack

Jack,

Check the value of R39 (the feedback resistor) on the driver board of those Mark III's. R39 is the resistor that determines how much negative feedback the amp will have. The higher this resistor the less feedback and the more gain the amp has. The lower the R39 resistor the more feedback and less gain the amp has. R39 on a VTA driver board is normally a 7.5K resistor but you can alter this resistor from about 3K to 10K. If you go below 3K the amp will tend to sound a little harder and less tube like. If you go much above 10K you will lose some bass control and the bass will start to sound a little "boomy". Check the value of R39 on your buddy's amps.

Bob

doncrossman likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:26 am