The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Dynaco PAS 3 Hum

breading

Dynaco PAS 3 Hum Empty Dynaco PAS 3 Hum

Post by breading Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:26 pm

I have a hum that is constant and not affected by the volume control.  Both channels, all sources.  What is the appropriate sequence for tracing this issue?  I have check all voltages and they match the spec sheet.  Also checked the tubes with my Hickok and they test good.  Any help will be appreciated.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Dynaco PAS 3 Hum Empty Re: Dynaco PAS 3 Hum

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:08 pm

most likely the power supply, and possibly just the rectifier tube.
    Get a new rectifier tube (12X4) and replace the old one.
    If that doesn't cure the problem, get a new power supply board, that makes a huge difference in the quality of the PAS3.
    Well worth the $54 or so,
    https://www.erhard-audio.com/Power_Supply_Kits.html
    breading

Post by breading Wed Oct 27, 2021 1:39 am

Roy,

Took your advice and swapped out the 12X4 and installed the Erhard power board on my PAS3, all to no avail. Still have the hum unaffected by input source or volume.

Am I correct that given the constant nature of the hum it has to be associated with the signal path after the volume pot? In other words on the PC5 board, tone control, etc.?

If that be the case, where is it best to start tracing down this problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bruce
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:43 am

breading wrote:Roy,

Took your advice and swapped out the 12X4 and installed the Erhard power board on my PAS3, all to no avail.  Still have the hum unaffected by input source or volume.  

Am I correct that given the constant nature of the hum it has to be associated with the signal path after the volume pot?  In other words on the PC5 board, tone control, etc.?

If that be the case, where is it best to start tracing down this problem?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Bruce
    Check the wiring, especially the grounding. Any changes from the manual might inject hum.
    I also would replace the two tubes on the line board, even if the filament is DC it's
    not free from hum.
    Also, all covers must be mounted.
    The PAS and the power amp could have ground issue, try a coarse wire
    between the PAS chassies and the power amp's chassie.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:23 am

You could also try using "shorting plugs" on all the UNUSED RCA inputs. These plugs short between the center pin and the outer shield on any unused input on a PAS-3. This prevents unused RCA jacks from acting like an antenna and picking up noise/hum. Also as peterh has mentioned, never test for hum with the PAS-3's cover OFF. That cover doesn't just keep dust off the interior, it also shields the input area and the selector switch from picking up noise.

One Ebay link below ..

RCA shorting plugs on Ebay

Bob
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Oct 27, 2021 12:22 pm

are all the boards grounded to the same ground? Maybe a bad tube in the line stage?
    breading

Post by breading Thu Oct 28, 2021 4:52 pm

Well, so far I have incorporated all suggested cures for the right channel hum in my PAS3, as well as several of my own doing, all to no avail. They are, in no particular order:

Replaced 12x4
    Installed new power board
    Replaced all 12ax7s
    Checked all ground connections
    Connected PAS3 as a phono only preamp through the tape out to my SP14 and found doing so results in dead quiet operation, hum is on line inputs only (PC5?).
    Switched 12ax7s on PC5 from left to right and found the hum remains on the right channel.
    Checked all resistors and found them to be within +/- 20% of tolerance.
    Checked capacitors with 9 volt meter and found them to generally be within range.

My conclusions, rightly or not, are as follows:

Grounding is not the issue since phono only operation results in dead quiet.
    It is not tube related.
    Based on my ear, the hum appears to be 60 cycle, not 120.

Any suggestions on where next to go in my journey?

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:49 am

breading wrote:Well, so far I have incorporated all suggested cures for the right channel hum in my PAS3, as well as several of my own doing, all to no avail.  They are, in no particular order:

Replaced 12x4
    Installed new power board
    Replaced all 12ax7s
    Checked all ground connections
    Connected PAS3 as a phono only preamp through the tape out to my SP14 and found doing so results in dead quiet operation, hum is on line inputs only (PC5?).
    Switched 12ax7s on PC5 from left to right and found the hum remains on the right channel.
    Checked all resistors and found them to be within +/- 20% of tolerance.
    Checked capacitors with 9 volt meter and found them to generally be within range.

My conclusions, rightly or not, are as follows:

Grounding is not the issue since phono only operation results in dead quiet.
    It is not tube related.
    Based on my ear, the hum appears to be 60 cycle, not 120.

Any suggestions on where next to go in my journey?

Again, make sure the grounding and B+ cabling is done as per the manual ( yes the power board changes this).
    In general i have found that shortening the wiring and locating ground and B+ on top
    side shortens the cables, this when using power boards.
    Avoid the area around the transformer, make sure the line cables are as far into the
    chassies corner as possible.
    breading

Post by breading Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:08 pm

Peterh,

Thank you for your suggestions. Please excuse me, but I am a complete neophyte with regard to these matters. Am I correct that grounding issues effect both channels. It seems from looking at the schematics and the physical layout, that the grounds are common to both channels. If that be the case, is it possible for a grounding issue in my PAS3 to manifest itself as a hum in one channel only? Just trying to better understand this challenging subject.
    Bruce

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:10 am

breading wrote:Peterh,

Thank you for your suggestions.   Please excuse me, but I am a complete neophyte with regard to these matters.  Am I correct that grounding issues effect both channels.   It seems from looking at the schematics and the physical layout, that the grounds are common to both channels.  If that be the case, is it possible for a grounding issue in my PAS3 to manifest itself as a hum in one channel only?  Just trying to better understand this challenging subject.
    Bruce

The line board is close to the transformer, one channel is closer. Try
    move all ground & B+ wires as far as possible from the transformer. Also
    make sure that the filament wires are well twinned and does not come close to
    the board. The sketch in the manual suggests routing.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:05 pm