The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers

eminence1963
    eminence1963

Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers Empty Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers

Post by eminence1963 Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:02 pm

Inadvertently left my St120 on for 2 days straight with out music playing. Turn the volume up this morning and no sound. Got the meter to checked BIAS and zero BIAS to all 4 tubes. All tubs are glowing normal. What's the next step? All wires are plugged in. Preamp is emitting power and sound to other amp. Could it be the rectifier tube went south? Stock amp except upgraded capacitors.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers Empty Re: Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers

Post by Bob Latino Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:20 pm

eminence1963 wrote:Inadvertently left my St120 on for 2 days straight with out music playing. Turn the volume up this morning and no sound. Got the meter to checked BIAS and zero BIAS to all 4 tubes. All tubs are glowing normal. What's the next step? All wires are plugged in. Preamp is emitting power and sound to other amp. Could it be the rectifier tube went south? Stock amp except upgraded capacitors.

The rectifier probably did "go south". Just because a rectifier "lights up" is no indication that the rectifier is working properly. A no bias situation on ALL output tubes is usually a sign that the rectifier is bad.

Bob

ttocs and Gabriel like this post

eminence1963
    eminence1963

Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers Empty Re: Zero Bias all 4 tubes and no output to speakers

Post by eminence1963 Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:31 pm

Will this work as a temp sub un-till I can order a new tube
    https://www.tubedepot.com/products/solid-state-rectifier

Last edited by eminence1963 on Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correction)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:25 pm

eminence1963 wrote:Will this work as a temp sub un-till I can order a new tube

Yes - That solid state rectifier will work BUT ..

1. That rectifier does not have slow warm up, it will instantly turn the high voltage on before the the output tubes have had a chance to warm up. Output tubes don't like to be hit with 490 - 525 volts DC (as found on the VTA ST-120) with the tube filaments not fully lit. If you want to try that solid state rectifier, I recommend that you install the VTA TDR (Time Delay Relay). The TDR will allow the filaments of the tubes to warm up for about 17 to 20 seconds before high voltage is applied to the output tubes.

2. The solid state rectifier is not a good idea if your line voltage is over about 121 VAC. A solid state rectifier will cause the DC high voltages to be slightly higher than a tube rectifier. The quad cap on ST-120's is rated at 550 volts. If you exceed that voltage in your amp, you can take out the quad cap.

Bob
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:14 am

A local music/guitar store should have a 5AR4/GZ34 in stock.
    I'd play it safe.
    eminence1963
    eminence1963

Post by eminence1963 Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:54 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    eminence1963 wrote:Will this work as a temp sub un-till I can order a new tube

Yes - That solid state rectifier will work BUT ..

1. That rectifier does not have slow warm up, it will instantly turn the high voltage on before the the output tubes have had a chance to warm up. Output tubes don't like to be hit with 490 - 525 volts DC (as found on the VTA ST-120) with the tube filaments not fully lit. If you want to try that solid state rectifier, I recommend that you install the VTA TDR (Time Delay Relay). The TDR will allow the filaments of the tubes to warm up for about 17 to 20 seconds before high voltage is applied to the output tubes.

2. The solid state rectifier is not a good idea if your line voltage is over about 121 VAC. A solid state rectifier will cause the DC high voltages to be slightly higher than a tube rectifier. The quad cap on ST-120's is rated at 550 volts. If you exceed that voltage in your amp, you can take out the quad cap.

Bob
    Ok will wait for the tube to come in.
    Gabriel

Post by Gabriel Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:15 pm

I experienced a similar issue. Replaced the 5ar4 rectifier.
    I also used a W3ber solid state rectifier with the delay board, until the rectifier almost melted …slight exaggeration lol and the power transformer was hot enough to cook an egg.
    I will nevergo back to a solid state rectifier.
    The 5ar4 is perfect..

Dale Stevens likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 2:17 pm