The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

My First Tube Amp

artvott

My First Tube Amp Empty My First Tube Amp

Post by artvott Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:17 pm

IMG_4062

IMG_4061
    IMG_4072

My latest acquisition: VTA ST 120. Not built by me but bought from a member here. I had to buy it. I really don't want to wait for parts and take a chance of not having the amp. Been planning on building one since last year.  But anyways, no problem whatsoever on the amp. Packed really well. Thanks to the previous owner.

The amp is driven with a vintage Kenwood C1 pre amp. I also have a modern pre amp from Schiit Audio called Freya + that I briefly connected to the amp. I like the sound of the vintage Kenwood.

The speakers are Altec A7, originally, but has been modified with a bigger JBL 2360 horns. The original Altec 511 horns are seen on floor. Still playing with the crossovers.

I do love the sound of this VTA amp. Big sound. I have 2 100 watt solid state power amps from Schiit Audio also that I used with the Altec and the VTA outperforms them as far as sound quality, tonal characteristics and dynamics. I will use ss amps to drive the bass cabs and also use them during summertime. I use this system for music (through DAC) and also as tv sound. No live music. Maybe one day.

Pardon the mess on the speaker pic. I'm gonna try to wrap up and clean up the place and get ready for the holidays. I also need to fabricate bass traps to go behind the speakers. Some unpleasant resonance at around 220 to 250 hz. When I replaced the smaller old tv with this big one, it created the resonance.

Not really playing the music super loud. I maybe using up to 5 watts to drive these speakers. The sound fills the room very nicely. Triode mode is  heavenly. Been alternating between triode and ultra linear.

Bob Latino, 10-E-C, Dale Stevens, pedrocols, knotscott and Oldtube like this post

knotscott
    knotscott

My First Tube Amp Empty Re: My First Tube Amp

Post by knotscott Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:57 pm

Your new amp looks beautiful. I can't help but wonder if a nice tube preamp would make it even better.

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:39 pm