The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
EWALAA
Mission
6 posters

NOOB Here...

Mission
    Mission

NOOB Here... Empty NOOB Here...

Post by Mission Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:49 pm

Hello,
     NOOB here. I've been jackin' around for several years with different audio and video. It's a hobby that comes and goes. Recently I picked up a very sweet Dynakit Mark III. It's cookin' on the variac as I bring her back up. I'll be around a bit lurking trying to take in some info. This thing is so beautiful in the elegant minimalist look. I love it. I have a Harman Kardon Festival as well. I've been wanting one of these separates for a long time and well, I picked this one up. Since I haven't happened upon a stereo unit, looks like I'll be needing another one of these. I'll be pushing Altec A5's. I'll be around bugging you guys if you don't mind and post a picture when I get her running.
    Mission
    Mission

NOOB Here... Empty Re: NOOB Here...

Post by Mission Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:41 am

Well, so much for that. The can started leaking at 90 volts.
    EWALAA

Post by EWALAA Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:24 pm

Find another one and start the rebuild process. They’re worth the effort.

Mission likes this post

wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:44 pm

I have two Mark III’s and an ST-70 I may be ready to part with. Send me a PM I have not used the message option much but think I can pick it up here.
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Post by vtshopdog Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:25 pm

By “can started leaking” do you mean the multi cap is bad?

I rebuilt a set of multi cap cans on an old Mac receiver I restored several years ago.  Replacement multi cap with matching values are not available for this unit.  

Basic deal is you open the can and empty the guts then replace with modern electrolytics housed in the can and soldered off to the multi cap tabs on the stock base. To be successful you would need to find proper value replacements that fit in the existing can. (Can’t help with that part, sorry)

There is a thread on audio karma with generic instructions for this repair:
    https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/clean-can-capacitor-rebuild-scott-owners.750137/

I had my best luck filing the bottom edge of can away as detailed in the thread rather than prying up the crimp.

Mission likes this post

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Sun Nov 21, 2021 6:43 pm

You can also leave the old can in place and disconnect it from the circuit if you want to keep the vintage look. Then the appropriate caps can be placed inside the chassis.

Lot's of YouTube covering this. I'd have a look in these channels-

uncle Doug  around 8:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJYPr2y_4vw

blueglow electronics- commentary on hayseed hamfest replacements: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnP0wHEmf2o

mr Carlsons lab, etc.

I just saw this one too: https://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

Last edited by New2Tubez on Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Mission likes this post

Mission
    Mission

Post by Mission Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:41 pm

First off, I like keeping some things as close to original as possible and this is one of them. I don't want to hot rod it or drill any holes. This thing is so nice. Keeping it close to looking untouched by my concrete hands.

I plan on starting the repair process. Yes, I mean the multicapacitor can is leaking. Sorry for that. I saw on the Dynakit site, they have a couple of cap cans. Those are not the ones to use? I like the idea of stuffing new caps in there. TIA
    Mission
    Mission

NOOB Here... Empty here's a pic

Post by Mission Sun Nov 21, 2021 10:59 pm

I think I can polish it up like a new penny.NOOB Here... Dyna10
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:43 pm

for the MK3 you want an Authenticap KTL25
    I've got them on my MK3 page
    www.tubes4hifi.com/MK3.htm
    Mission
    Mission

Post by Mission Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:18 pm

I found a Mark III repair video. He says the cap value matching isn't important unless it's on the audio portion, so he went a little over. Although it is electrically clean, it seems a little busy aesthetically. If I were to replace the cap can with individuals, is that what I am going to encounter? I'd like it a bit cleaner, but I would like to keep my costs down also. Is it one or the other? What are your thoughts on this and the overall repair video? Thank you
    Mission
    Mission

Post by Mission Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:42 pm

Well I got 'er up and running. Thanks for the comments and help!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:23 pm