The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Stepper Type Level Control available???

Rbertalotto

Stepper Type Level Control available??? Empty Stepper Type Level Control available???

Post by Rbertalotto Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:33 pm

Is there a better type optional level control for the ST120 available? Would like to find a stepper type control if one exists. I know it might not fit in the chassis, but I've wired my level control outboard so I have plenty of room

Rbertalotto

Stepper Type Level Control available??? Empty Re: Stepper Type Level Control available???

Post by Rbertalotto Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:08 pm

Something like this DACT potentiometer?

http://www.dact.com/html/attenuators.html
    vtshopdog
    vtshopdog

Stepper Type Level Control available??? Empty Re: Stepper Type Level Control available???

Post by vtshopdog Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:58 pm

If you want to spend big $$$ gold point attenuators are very nice:
    https://goldpt.com/index.html

I’ve also had pretty good luck with affordable ($15-20 per channel) Chinese stepped attenuators sold on eBay.  The ones I’ve used have multiple surface mount resistors and decent wipers. No static and half a decade in they still sound good.  It’s been a few years since I bought one but seemed like there were many vendors selling the same part and very reasonably priced.  Type in “dact stepped attenuator” for search term and maybe spend some time reviewing feedback.
    Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:43 pm

Anyone know the impedance of the attenuator? And I believe it is a simple three contacts per channel?
    AmpedUp
    AmpedUp

Post by AmpedUp Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:06 pm

eBay would be cheaper, but here are some 8 ohm attenuators from a respected company.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/l-pads-attenuators/
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:23 pm

Rbertalotto wrote:Anyone know the impedance of the attenuator? And I believe it is a simple three contacts per channel?

The impedance on the VTA stepped attenuator for the ST-120 is 100,000 ohms. You can buy a stepped attenuator right off the web page at the link below.

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/amps.htm

Bob
    Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:41 pm

Thanks Bob...That is the level control that I currently have....Is it a true multiple resistor stepped potentiometer? I thought it was a simple wipe type with detents?

(Hey, I thought you retired!..... :-)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:56 pm

Rbertalotto wrote:Thanks Bob...That is the level control that I currently have....Is it a true multiple resistor stepped potentiometer? I thought it was a simple wipe type with detents?

(Hey, I thought you retired!..... :-)

No - The VTA stepped attenuator has separate SMD (Surface Mount Design) multiple resistors. See close up photo below with the dust shield removed. This attenuator is NOT a wipe design with detents.

Bob

Stepper Type Level Control available??? Attenuator-back-close-up
    Rbertalotto

Post by Rbertalotto Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:01 pm

I had no idea...This is great news! Saved me time and money! Surprised I didn't notice this when I installed it.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:07 pm

Rbertalotto wrote:I had no idea...This is great news! Saved me time and money! Surprised I didn't notice this when I installed it.

Hi Roy,

These VTA stepped attenuators normally have the dust shield in place and you can't see the resistors. I removed the dust shield from one of them just to confirm that they use SMD ladder resistors inside.

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:47 pm