The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

ST-120 LM334 burnout

grosen

ST-120 LM334 burnout Empty ST-120 LM334 burnout

Post by grosen Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:38 am

Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that I've got low output on one channel of my ST-120.  This has happened twice before — not always in the same channel — and both times replacing the LM334 regulator did the trick.  I've ordered a new part, and I'm sure that's the problem this time.  It's an easy enough fix, so I don't mind the occasional replacement.  But I do wonder if I should be looking for the underlying cause.  The unit does got hot, and it may be that the problem is triggered by long sessions where the amp is on all day and gets hotter than usual.  But it sits on a top shelf in free air, so maybe that's not the issue.  Any ideas?  

— Gideon
    DavidT1

ST-120 LM334 burnout Empty Re: ST-120 LM334 burnout

Post by DavidT1 Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:46 am

Hello Gideon,

I relate to your problem, and admire your dedication to maintenance - well worth it! Here are some thoughts, from easy to hard.

1) Hot air rises, since it is less dense than cooler air. As proof, some people use ceiling fans to distribute hot air near the ceiling.

You can locate a small quiet fan near the amp to help reduce this heating effect, assuming you cannot move the amp.

2) Install the LM334 under the PCB to shield the device. Use taller feet to raise the chassis and thus subtlety improve air flow.

3) Install a small TO-92 heat-sink on the LM334 using thermal grease. (Both available at Mouser and/or Digikey). This will help the LM334 dissipate more heat.

HTH, David

knotscott and grosen like this post

grosen

Post by grosen Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:42 pm

Thanks, David. Excellent ideas. Will try them all.
    Gideon
    DavidT1

Post by DavidT1 Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:11 pm

Gideon, you are welcome.

David
    fabio_ab
    fabio_ab

Post by fabio_ab Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:06 pm

grosen wrote:Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that I've got low output on one channel of my ST-120.  This has happened twice before — not always in the same channel — and both times replacing the LM334 regulator did the trick.  I've ordered a new part, and I'm sure that's the problem this time.  It's an easy enough fix, so I don't mind the occasional replacement.  But I do wonder if I should be looking for the underlying cause.  The unit does got hot, and it may be that the problem is triggered by long sessions where the amp is on all day and gets hotter than usual.  But it sits on a top shelf in free air, so maybe that's not the issue.  Any ideas?  

— Gideon

My question is: Why use the LM334 and not develop a long tail phase inverter or similar with resistors and a capacitor? The price to pay when the LM334 fails or burns out can be high. LM334 is delicate and senslible to temperature. In an old school amp, it shoudn't be there! Wrong choice from developers!
    fabio_ab
    fabio_ab

Post by fabio_ab Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:10 pm

DavidT1 wrote:Hello Gideon,

I relate to your problem, and admire your dedication to maintenance - well worth it! Here are some thoughts, from easy to hard.

1) Hot air rises, since it is less dense than cooler air. As proof, some people use ceiling fans to distribute hot air near the ceiling.

You can locate a small quiet fan near the amp to help reduce this heating effect, assuming you cannot move the amp.

2) Install the LM334 under the PCB to shield the device. Use taller feet to raise the chassis and thus subtlety improve air flow.

3) Install a small TO-92 heat-sink on the LM334 using thermal grease. (Both available at Mouser and/or Digikey). This will help the LM334 dissipate more heat.

HTH, David

Hi Guys. Sorry, but it seems a lot of paletive solutions for a bad phase inverter project for a old school amp.
    grosen

Post by grosen Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:55 am

If the problem were common we'd hear more about it here.  So it must be rare.  But for those who have it the easy permanent fix is Pavel's tiny board with a surface mount LM334 and the recommended protection circuit -- available at audioamp.eu.   Cheap and straightforward.  (In my case it also stabilized channel balance, which can wander a bit if your LM334s are getting too hot.)  -- Gideon
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Mar 08, 2023 6:14 pm

All VTA amps from 2012 to now use the LM334 which works well unless ..

1. You have a marginally good 12AU7 type driver tube in the left and/or right position on a VTA ST-70 or ST-120 or the rear tube on a VTA M-125 amp.

2. You used something other than a 12AU7 driver tube. If you use a 12AT7 or 12AX7 in place of the 12AU7 tube, you could take out the LM334.

3. You tried to get over 5000 hours of play time out of your driver tubes and they start to get weak.

Just because a tube "lights up" is no indication that it is still "good". Try to keep track of the amount of play time on your amp. At about 3000 hours you should replace the output tubes. The driver tubes should be changed out at about 5000 hours.

Bob

Tune and grosen like this post

jwb474

Post by jwb474 Wed Jan 31, 2024 9:16 am

For my upcoming MK-3 Project I seem to always want to fix something that isn't necessarily broken. I decided to look into the LM334 issue a little closer. Using LTSpice I modeled both the Uncompensated and Compensated LM334 circuits
    The graph om the left is the Temp vs Ma of the Uncompensated circuit and the graph on the right is the graph of the Temp vs Ma of the Compensated circuit.
    The Uncompensated circuit goes from 7.1ma to 9.4ma for a delta change of 2.3ma.
    The Compensated circuit goes from7.4ma to 7.6ma for a delta change of 0.26ma.
    Per the T.I. data sheet the max operating current is 10ma. Now these numbers represent the extremes but I can see where with different tubes and tolerances the max current my get exceeded with the Uncompensated circuit. It seems to me that the Compensated circuit may be able to withstand a wider range of tolerance.
    Just food for thought. Since the circuit from Audioamp was out of stock, I decided to layout a version using thru-hole components.

ST-120 LM334 burnout BRIBPw  ST-120 LM334 burnout QhcE5X

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 1:46 pm