The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Painting Transformer Bells?

98indypacer

Painting Transformer Bells? Empty Painting Transformer Bells?

Post by 98indypacer Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:25 pm

I have a VTA kit on pre order and want to paint the transformer end bells. I want to paint the laminated section with satin black and have the end bells powder coated a glossy color. The instructions say to swap bolts on the transformers so they don't get paint on them but didn't say if you can remove the bells. I figured you could replace the bolts after the bells were removed to protect the transformer.

Is there any reason the bells can't be removed to get them powder coated?

Thanks, Ed
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Painting Transformer Bells? Empty Re: Painting Transformer Bells?

Post by Tubes4ever Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:54 pm

98indypacer wrote:I have a VTA kit on pre order and want to paint the transformer end bells. I want to paint the laminated section with satin black and have the end bells powder coated a glossy color.  The instructions say to swap bolts on the transformers so they don't get paint on them but didn't say if you can remove the bells. I figured you could replace the bolts after the bells were removed to protect the transformer.

Is there any reason the bells can't be removed to get them powder coated?

Thanks, Ed

No reason at all. The bells are held on by the bolts and have the wires threaded through holes on the bottom.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:59 pm

The only potential problem with taking the transformer bells off is on the power transformer. You have different colored wires coming out of TWO holes. Make sure that those wires come out of the same holes that they came out of before you took off the bottom transformer bell. Another caution > do NOT twist any wires until they have been pushed through the correct hole. After the wires are through the correct hole > then they can be twisted.

Bob

stsk and 98indypacer like this post

98indypacer

Post by 98indypacer Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:37 am

Bob Latino wrote:The only potential problem with taking the transformer bells off is on the power transformer. You have different colored wires coming out of TWO holes. Make sure that those wires come out of the same holes that they came out of before you took off the bottom transformer bell. Another caution > do NOT twist any wires until they have been pushed through the correct hole. After the wires are through the correct hole > then they can be twisted.

Bob

Thank you for the tips, Bob!
    Rec

Post by Rec Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:41 am

I did just that.

Had all the bells powder coated, and painted laminations satin. Just be careful with your naked transformers, and cover the windings and wires when painting. While the bells are being powder coated lock the naked transformers away so they dont have an accident. I used some temporary screws and nuts when painting. That being said, you can likely keep the bottom on the power transformer as it is under the chassis. I also had the powder coater mask the back of the bells and only coat the exterior. If you do the chassis, make sure to keep your screw holes on the underside masked too, so you can make a solid ground connection to chassis.

Dale Stevens and 98indypacer like this post

98indypacer

Post by 98indypacer Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:05 pm

Rec wrote:I did just that.

Had all the bells powder coated, and painted laminations satin. Just be careful with your naked transformers, and cover the windings and wires when painting. While the bells are being powder coated lock the naked transformers away so they dont have an accident. I used some temporary screws and nuts when painting.  That being said, you can likely keep the bottom on the power transformer as it is under the chassis. I also had the powder coater mask the back of the bells and only coat the exterior. If you do the chassis, make sure to keep your screw holes on the underside masked too, so you can make a solid ground connection to chassis.

Thank you for the tips on protecting the underside of the chassis to ensure a good ground without having to remove the powder coat. I was think about powder coating the top panel on the new design chassis and was concerned that the powder coat might make the screw holes smaller. Have any pictures of your build you can share?
    Rec

Post by Rec Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:44 pm

I had them coated by a professional, he laughed at my masking tape. I showed him where I wanted the masking. The screws all fit.

Painting Transformer Bells? Img_1415
    Painting Transformer Bells? Img_1414
    Painting Transformer Bells? Img_1416

98indypacer likes this post

98indypacer

Post by 98indypacer Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:41 pm

Looks great! Thank you for sharing!!

Rec likes this post

Cubdriver
    Cubdriver

Post by Cubdriver Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:47 pm

The ST-70 was my first attempt at powder coating - I'm happy with how they came out.  I left the bottom bell on the power transformer as it's hidden when the amp is assembled. Never thought of painting the transformer laminations - should have done that in hindsight.

Painting Transformer Bells? IMG_0986-L

Other build pics and photos of the powder coating process are at: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/VTATube4hifi-ST-70-Amplifier

For the M-125 transformers I went with red
    Painting Transformer Bells? IMG_1343-L

Photos of the M-125 transformers are at: https://pmanning.smugmug.com/Electronics/M-125s  (I haven't finished the M-125s yet as I want to powder coat the chassis, too, and haven't gotten to do so.  And also need to refinish one of the transformers that my feline lab assistant knocked off a high shelf and dented up.  He's in the last pictures in the gallery, showing zero guilt over the carnage he's wrought. Mad  Mad  One of these years I'll get back to it...)

-Pat

Rec and 98indypacer like this post

98indypacer

Post by 98indypacer Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:22 pm

Pat, thank you for sharing your builds. I like the red bells on your M125!

Cubdriver likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am