The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+5
Brap
Gabriel
rebellovw
Bob Latino
Chris A
9 posters

VTA ST-70 problem

Chris A

VTA ST-70 problem Empty VTA ST-70 problem

Post by Chris A Sat Mar 05, 2022 9:05 am

Hi All,

My VTA ST-70 has performed faultlessly since I built it in 2018. Earlier today it did something strange. I switched it on, sent it some music but no sound came from the speakers. I looked at the valves and noticed one wasn't glowing:

VTA ST-70 problem VTA-ST-70-1

I'm not sure whether the image of my amp will upload, but of the four EL34s it's the front right one that didn't glow.

So I shut down and swapped the front two EL34s. Still the right one didn't glow, so I knew It wasn't the valve.

Also it seemed the centre and right-hand valves of the driver board were cold to the touch while the left one was (very) warm!!

So I sat down to write this and while doing so (about five minutes from initial power-up) the sound came on, the front right EL34 began to glow and now all three valves on the driver board are very warm to the touch.

So obviously I'm pleased and relieved but being naturally curious I wonder whether anyone can offer an explanation as to why it did that?

Best Wishes to all,

Chris
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

VTA ST-70 problem Empty Re: VTA ST-70 problem

Post by Bob Latino Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:04 am

Hi Chris,

Yes - we can see that on the right front tube the filament is not lit. That tube is bad (a shorted filament) and it probably took out the rectifier. If you get no sound from BOTH channels, the rectifier tube is probably bad. Since your amp is four years old, I would replace ALL four output tubes and the rectifier. Tubes don't last forever. They slowly wear out from the time you first plug them in. If you play the amp maybe 2 or 3 ours a day, after 3 to 5 years you should replace all the output tubes. Keep the three output that do light up as "spares" to keep the music flowing in case of an output tube failure in the future.

Bob
    rebellovw

Post by rebellovw Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:26 pm

I hope that rectifier can be saved - it is a nice one. I had mine redplate really bad a while back - but so far it is working just fine GZ37.

Chris A

Post by Chris A Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:13 am

Dear Bob,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. All has become good again so I'm leaving well alone!

Seeing as I'm here I would like to share my thoughts about this amplifier. I use it without a dedicated preamp, Front end is a Marantz CD6006 (UK). I also send the Marantz high bitrate MP3, Flac, WAV and the Marantz's DAC sends direct to to the VTA ST70. Speakers are Klipsch Heresy III.

1. The kit came with excellent instructions and was a joy to build. I was sad when it was over!
    2. This amplifier is absolutely marvelous.
    3. Super quiet when nothing is fed to it. All it does it take whatever signal it's given and amplifies it. It removes or adds nothing.
    4. It is absolutely ruthless! If you give it rubbish (poor or low quality front end, 'bad' or low-fi recordings) you will get amplified rubbish out. But oh, if if you give it good quality signal with well-produced recordings it just rewards and rewards. Imaging is superb.
    5. The rating at 35W a side seems conservative; I rarely have it up full volume.

I've owned a lot of high-end kit in my time (Linn, Cyrus, Quad amps & electrostatic speakers, Tannoy Yorks (15" Monitor Golds), ATC SCM100 (which I regret selling!). I'm done swapping, chopping and changing (well, maybe I'll get into some so-called 'tube-rolling'). This current setup will probably see me out.

Best wishes to all, Chris

Bob Latino, nmchiefsfan and Brap like this post

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel Fri Mar 18, 2022 1:28 am

Hi

I suggest you also check the 10ohm? Resistor to ground.
    Chris A

Post by Chris A Fri Mar 18, 2022 3:23 am

Hi Gabriel,

[b]I suggest you also check the 10ohm? Resistor to ground.[b]

Please could you give a bit more info please?

Regards,

Chris
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:04 pm

Highly agree with your comments on the VTA ST-70. I absolutely love mine. In fact built one for my best friend and he loves it too. No trying to convince him to look into Fritz speakers -- this is a great combination. My GL KT-66's are original (coming up on 9 years) and still work well. Have gone through a few rectifiers though. Ordered up some Nesstone 6550's to swap out based on the comments of replacing output tubes every 3-5 years. (GL KT-66's not available now due to the crisis) Guess I'm listening on borrowed time today! Will be interested to hear the differences. Believe I need to re-bias to .500V too.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:17 pm

seeing as how you said it started working about five minutes later, it should be very obvious you have a bad connection on that right front tube, most likely a cold solder joint.
    That's also were the filament connections to the right half of the driver board come from. Resolder everything on that socket, and check the amp for any other possible cold joints.

Seamus likes this post

sayntjack

VTA ST-70 problem Empty VTA ST-70 Problem

Post by sayntjack Fri Mar 18, 2022 12:40 pm

"Seeing as how you said it started working about five minutes later, it should be very obvious you have a bad connection on that right front tube, most likely a cold solder joint.
    That's also were the filament connections to the right half of the driver board come from.   Resolder everything on that socket, and check the amp for any other possible cold joints."

+1 Exactly
    Wotan
    Wotan

Post by Wotan Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:05 pm

If some of your filaments went dark, and now they light again, that suggests to me a cold or dry solder joint. I'm not familiar with your exact model, but check the filament chain--with octal tubes you generally have twisted pairs of wires connecting together all the pins 1 and 8, and the filament transformer winding. Grab those wires and wiggle them. If the ends of the wires on the socket lugs wiggle, you have a bad joint. Depending on where in the chain the driver boards filament supply is taken it can also be affected.

With multiple connections on a lug, it's very easy for the joint on top to look nice and shiny and wicked onto all the visible surfaces, but not quite make it to the wires below. Such a connection may perform OK for a while, until it doesn't. If you find such a thing, that should be incentive, now that you've had a chance to enjoy the fruits of your labor for a while, to take some extra time and recheck all your work. It could be that in your zeal to finish the project you got a little careless. Nothing to be ashamed of, it happens to most of us.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:39 pm

First things first, as in KISS. Swap out to another tube (check) swap to a spare rectifier (you DO have a spare, doncha?), then clean the sockets and pins, and re-tension all the sockets.

PS - even just sliding each tube (carefully) up and down in each socket can work wonders at breaking oxydation that could result in this sort of intermittent problem.

And ya. Hide the soldering iron if you have one and don't know what to do with it ... ;-}

Dale Stevens likes this post

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:47 pm

Chris A wrote:Hi Gabriel,

[b]I suggest you also check the 10ohm? Resistor to ground.[b]

Please could you give a bit more info please?

Regards,

Chris

The 10ohm resistor attached to pins 1 and 8 to ground chassis, the four output tubes.
    Check resistance values.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 7:04 am