The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

MKIII Bias at 1.7v

snip73

MKIII Bias at 1.7v Empty MKIII Bias at 1.7v

Post by snip73 Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:33 pm

Greetings. It's been ten years since I restored my MKIII's, and they have not seen much use since. I ordered sand installed some banana type plugs and did away with the old screw terminal strips. After wiring them in, one amp biases to .50v and the other is up around 1.7v on both output tubes.

The restore was done using "Roy's" boards; individual bias controls amongst other things. I'm not that experienced with these projects, and it's been some time since I did this as a hobby... so I am hoping someone can lend a hand. Thanks.
    peterh
    peterh

MKIII Bias at 1.7v Empty Re: MKIII Bias at 1.7v

Post by peterh Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:46 am

snip73 wrote:Greetings. It's been ten years since I restored my MKIII's, and they have not seen much use since. I ordered sand installed some banana type plugs and did away with the old screw terminal strips. After wiring them in, one amp biases to .50v and the other is up around 1.7v on both output tubes.

The restore was done using "Roy's" boards; individual bias controls amongst other things. I'm not that experienced with these projects, and it's been some time since I did this as a hobby... so I am hoping someone can lend a hand. Thanks.
    As this are no dynaco MkIII ,schematics should be posted to have any accurate advices.

snip73 likes this post

snip73

Post by snip73 Wed Apr 06, 2022 6:38 am

peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:32 am

snip73 wrote:Greetings. It's been ten years since I restored my MKIII's, and they have not seen much use since. I ordered sand installed some banana type plugs and did away with the old screw terminal strips. After wiring them in, one amp biases to .50v and the other is up around 1.7v on both output tubes.

looking at the published schematics :
    measure the grid voltage ( bias) If it's normal ( compare with the other amp) then
    there could be a problem with the cathode resistors or the ground connection(s)
    snip73

Post by snip73 Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:27 pm

The cathode resistors all measure @ 10K, so I will look into the ground issue. Thank you.
    snip73

Post by snip73 Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:35 am

It was dirty potentiometers. Amateur mistake! Thank you for your help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 10:59 pm