The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII)

snip73

Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII) Empty Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII)

Post by snip73 Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:17 pm

So I have my MKIII pair up and running; they sound good, not a lot of hum or hiss but one amp has a lot less volume than the other. I re-did these 10 or so years ago with the VTA boards so the 470K resistor is not present... I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting other than I did switch out the output and rectifier tubes with no changes noted.
    simpleton
    simpleton

Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII) Empty Re: Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII)

Post by simpleton Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:32 pm

Just a thought, but have you tried swapping the inputs between amps to verify your source is good?
    snip73

Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII) Empty Re: Low Volume On One Amp of Pair (MKIII)

Post by snip73 Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:19 pm

I should have mentioned that I did do that as well. Thanks.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:34 pm

snip73 wrote:So I have my MKIII pair up and running; they sound good, not a lot of hum or hiss but one amp has a lot less volume than the other. I re-did these 10 or so years ago with the VTA boards so the 470K resistor is not present... I am not sure where to begin troubleshooting other than I did switch out the output and rectifier tubes with no changes noted.
    It makes me think that this is no Dynaco MkIII. If they are something else
    and you want intelligent answers you should post correct schematics.
    snip73

Post by snip73 Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:55 pm

Schematics here. No disrespect; I just assumed there might be a common "go to" point for troubleshooting that didn't require posting them:

https://ibb.co/6tBHbnR
    https://ibb.co/x2Cr8Zc
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:23 am

Have you tried swapping tubes between the good and bad amps?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Apr 15, 2022 1:44 am

The amplification is basically set by the quote R7 / R5 , the resistors in the feedback chain.
    This is provided that the amp works without dist and is able to pull full power, if it distorts and/or
    cannot produce full power it might be one side of the phase inverter that has problems.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:59 am