The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Driver Tube Questions Stock ST-70

raudio44

Driver Tube Questions Stock ST-70 Empty Driver Tube Questions Stock ST-70

Post by raudio44 Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:12 pm

Running an updated, stock ST-70 with Sylvania 7199s, an NOS International Servicemaster made in Japan GZ34, and 'real' SED Winged C EL34s.

Could someone tell me the symptoms of a bad driver tube? Not a tech and don't have a tube tester. Trying to determine what my problem is and with limited knowledge.

Seems like my left channel is lower than the right. first changed preamps but that was not it. swapped output tubes to opposite channel. other steps also.

this is just to eliminate a 7199 as a possibility. I have a couple things I still want to check. My apartment living room wall is not ideal for speaker placement which is a nagging thought I am hoping is not the issue after all.

Some general thoughts would be appreciated. Happy holidays and New Year to all...     R
    peterh
    peterh

Driver Tube Questions Stock ST-70 Empty Re: Driver Tube Questions Stock ST-70

Post by peterh Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:46 pm

raudio44 wrote:Running an updated, stock ST-70 with Sylvania 7199s, an NOS International Servicemaster made in Japan GZ34, and 'real' SED Winged C EL34s.

Could someone tell me the symptoms of a bad driver tube? Not a tech and don't have a tube tester. Trying to determine what my problem is and with limited knowledge.

Seems like my left channel is lower than the right. first changed preamps but that was not it. swapped output tubes to opposite channel. other steps also.

this is just to eliminate a 7199 as a possibility. I have a couple things I still want to check. My apartment living room wall is not ideal for speaker placement which is a nagging thought I am hoping is not the issue after all.

Some general thoughts would be appreciated. Happy holidays and New Year to all...     R
    Leave the amp to Your favorite amp technician, he will hook it up to a sinus generator
    and artificial load. He will tell you if anything is wrong and also suggest how to correct.

Last edited by peterh on Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:30 am

Did you swap the 7199 tubes to see if the situation changed to the other channel?
    raudio44

Post by raudio44 Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:47 pm

peterh wrote:
    raudio44 wrote:Running an updated, stock ST-70 with Sylvania 7199s, an NOS International Servicemaster made in Japan GZ34, and 'real' SED Winged C EL34s.

Leave the amp to Your favorite amp technician, he will hook it up to a sinus generator
    and artificial load. He will tell you if anything is wrong and also suggest how to correct.

Don't have a local tech. It was gone over / updated a few years ago by a reputable tech. Just determined the amp is fine, the problem turned out to be uh, me! rechecked a couple things and seems fine now. thinking it was a speaker binding post issue. thought i did that before but?? thank you for your reply. have a great new year.

MechEngVic likes this post

raudio44

Post by raudio44 Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:52 pm

Brap wrote:Did you swap the 7199 tubes to see if the situation changed to the other channel?
    That was going to be my next move; was looking to see what a bad driver tube would exhibit as a problem to watch for. I think I found the issue as you can see in my last post here. still would like to know about the driver tubes. Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated. Happy holidays and new year.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:21 am