The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa

Njrob
    Njrob

? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa Empty ? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa

Post by Njrob Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:07 pm

Anyone here upgrade cap with these cap kits from triode usa? Says it's for st70, will it work for 120?

https://store.triodestore.com/capboards.html

https://i.servimg.com/u/f12/20/48/23/73/20230210.jpg
    https://i.servimg.com/u/f12/20/48/23/73/screen10.jpg
    New2Tubez

? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa Empty Re: ? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa

Post by New2Tubez Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:39 pm

The ST120 can cap is an upgrade over the ST70 and stock versions. Is there a reason you're wanting to do this? The standard one fit's the chassis hole as well. Is your ST120 NOT doing something?
    The ST120 is an improved version to start with.

Just my opinion, when you start to do mods from other sellers, it makes things hard to trace/ troubleshoot down the road unless you keep very good notes. Also harder to explain between the vendors.

You may have more experience with this...

Njrob likes this post

Njrob
    Njrob

? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa Empty Re: ? SDS capacitor board upgrade from triode usa

Post by Njrob Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:58 pm

Thank you! It's doing just fine. I was just wondering for future. I replaced my brother's can cap with the authenticap ktl25. There are additional previous cap upgrades here, in the pics. I'd like to learn more about this. Bob said somewhere on here the can cap is the Achilles heel. I went with the Tdr and ws1T. Variac at 115.

New2Tubez likes this post

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:11 pm

If I recall, Bob liked the German Authenticap over the CP ones. According to Roy, the 5AR4 was the weak point and you fixed this.

I'm a tweaker too and the results haven't always been for the better. Have fun...

Njrob likes this post

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:44 pm

New2Tubez wrote:If I recall, Bob liked the German Authenticap over the CP ones. According to Roy, the 5AR4 was the weak point and you fixed this.

I'm a tweaker too and the results haven't always been for the better. Have fun...

The 80, 40, 30, 20 German Authenticap is rated at 550 volts while the CE 80, 40, 30, 20 cap is only rated at 525 volts. Either is a good replacement for any original Dynaco ST-70. The Authenticap will give you a little more headroom in areas that have line voltages above 120 VAC in the USA/Canada. If you do replace the original Dynaco 30, 20, 20, 20 cap with either of the 80, 40, 30, 20 caps, just make sure that the 80 uF section faces the rear of the amp.

Bob

Njrob likes this post

Njrob
    Njrob

Post by Njrob Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:53 pm

Yup! Absolutely went with the authenticap!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:45 am