The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Power Cable Upgrade

VTHokie83

Power Cable Upgrade Empty Power Cable Upgrade

Post by VTHokie83 Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:23 pm

Hello all, first time starting a thread here.

I have what I consider a nice system, that I continually upgrade as funds allow; I own a VTA ST-120 amp with the cap upgrades and stepped attenuator, running upgraded NOS rectifiers and driver tubes.

About 6 months ago, I started buying/building upgraded power cords for all of my signal components and SS amplifier to really good success. So my question here is: "Has anyone upgraded the power cable on the Tubes4hifi amplifiers from the lamp cord?" After seeing very tangible results on all of my other components, I can't imaging that an improved power cord would not be beneficial on the tube amplifier as well. Questions I have:

(1) Is there a need to upgrade the power cable?
    (2) If anyone has upgraded the cable, what did you use?
    (3) Recommendations or suggestions on how to go about it? My assumption (correct or incorrect" is to just upgrade to a better cable, and wire the two wires exactly like the cable I would replace.

Please no cable deniers, I've done enough personal research on my system to know that better cables do provide SQ improvements, cable "burn in" is a real thing, and that everything from the factory has a cost per improvement component. Thank you in advance.
    smoorenc

Power Cable Upgrade Empty Re: Power Cable Upgrade

Post by smoorenc Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:32 am

I upgraded mine and put a switch in to disconnect ground if I want. I made mine with these items anx instructions. Works GREAT!! DIY Power Cable and Parts
    Wotan
    Wotan

Post by Wotan Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:41 pm

I think that among people who build things and have a working knowledge of how electronic and electrical devices work, at whatever level, you're not going to find much sympathy for boutique power cords and especially, "burning in" power cords. I'm not a 100% a "cable denier" but of those things, absolutely. No scientific basis whatever. The only thing you're burning in is your ears.

Heck, Bob Latino doesn't even think polarity in filament strings matters, according to his instructions. I'm kind of in between on that scale (though I faithfully followed them and didn't bother myself about it in my 120's). But if there is no physical difference between A and B, and you hear a difference between A and B, either there really is some unknown and unmeasurable difference or else you're deluding yourself. In the case of burned in versus not burned in power cords I am firmly of the belief that the latter is the case. The only way you could convince me otherwise is to pass a double-blind test. Personally, I would far rather spend my time listening to or playing music than participating in double blind tests, and I would far rather spend my money supporting those activities than on boutique power cords.

Dave_in_Va, Cubdriver and Dale Stevens like this post

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jan 08, 2024 3:37 pm

The 16 gauge power cord supplied for the VTA ST-70 and VTA ST-120 amps can handle 13 amps. The fuse on the ST-70 is a 3 amp slo-blo fuse and on the ST-120 is a 5 amp slo-blo fuse. The fuse will blow on both amps long before you even get close to the handling capacity of the wire. The power cord on the VTA M-125 is a 14 gauge wire which will handle 15 amps. The M-125 also has a 5 amp slo-blo fuse like the VTA ST-120.

I have tried larger diameter wires on all three VTA amps. I could hear no difference in the sound of any of the VTA amps using wires of a larger diameter.

Bob

Dave_in_Va, Cubdriver, Dale Stevens and yel17 like this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 7:29 pm