The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming

photoenergy

Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming Empty Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming

Post by photoenergy Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:13 pm

Hi all - it's been nearly 10 years since my last post and in that time my amp has been the center of my listening enjoyment and has presented virtually no issues until recently. A few weeks ago I started to notice my left channel was sounding intermittently scratchy and static-y. I first rolled my output tubes and then the driver & splitter tubes to see if the issue moved to the right channel. No changes there. Next I deox'd my volume potentiometer since that had been noisy at times. That seemed to clear it up or at least make the scratchy less persistent. I have noticed that the scratchy output was audible after turning the amp on but then would dissipate after a few seconds. It almost sounds like someone is crumpling up a piece of paper after I turn on the amp but only in the left channel. All of that would be marginally tolerable if I didn't now notice the output level is roughly 30% less than the right channel. I've confirmed the input source is not the culprit and the audio signal isn't affected other than being considerably lower in amplitude.

The output bias voltages are all within the appropriate range so I'm curious where else I should look or consider given the reduced output? Do folks have experience troubleshooting a similar issue and would you expect it to be a failing capacitor or otherwise? The fact that there's no buzzing or humming leads me to believe it's not a cap. But before I start exploring on my own I thought I'd ask for any guidance.

Thanks in advance! Laughing

Kind regards,
    Chris
    photoenergy

Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming Empty Re: Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming

Post by photoenergy Thu Feb 01, 2024 7:34 pm

I failed to mention that my amp is the VTA-70! Sorry for not including that important detail in my original post.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming Empty Re: Reduced left channel output - no buzz or humming

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:16 pm

photoenergy wrote:Hi all - it's been nearly 10 years since my last post and in that time my amp has been the center of my listening enjoyment and has presented virtually no issues until recently. A few weeks ago I started to notice my left channel was sounding intermittently scratchy and static-y. I first rolled my output tubes and then the driver & splitter tubes to see if the issue moved to the right channel. No changes there. Next I deox'd my volume potentiometer since that had been noisy at times. That seemed to clear it up or at least make the scratchy less persistent. I have noticed that the scratchy output was audible after turning the amp on but then would dissipate after a few seconds. It almost sounds like someone is crumpling up a piece of paper after I turn on the amp but only in the left channel. All of that would be marginally tolerable if I didn't now notice the output level is roughly 30% less than the right channel. I've confirmed the input source is not the culprit and the audio signal isn't affected other than being considerably lower in amplitude.

The output bias voltages are all within the appropriate range so I'm curious where else I should look or consider given the reduced output? Do folks have experience troubleshooting a similar issue and would you expect it to be a failing capacitor or otherwise? The fact that there's no buzzing or humming leads me to believe it's not a cap. But before I start exploring on my own I thought I'd ask for any guidance.

Thanks in advance!  Laughing

Kind regards,
    Chris

Hi Chris,

What you describe is most likely a bad solder connection or a "partial" connection where a tube pin connects to the socket. Bad solder connections and partial tube pin connections can still occur years after the amp is built !

What I would do is take off the bottom cover, turn the amp upside down in on a folded towel and reconnect the input and speaker connections. Turn the amp on, play some music and a moderate level and use an insulated object like a wooden pencil or a plastic "Sharpie" with the cap on and tap on every connection on the left channel. If the sound level comes back, drops down or changes in any way even for a split second, you may have found a bad connection. Turn the amp off and resolder that connection even if it looks good. See if that helps.

Note > There is a fairly comprehensive tube amp debugging at the link below.

Tube amp debugging link

Bob

knotscott likes this post

photoenergy

Post by photoenergy Mon Feb 05, 2024 5:47 pm

Bob, as always, thanks for taking the time to respond! Will take this advice and see what I can find.

Best,
    Chris
    Seamus
    Seamus

Post by Seamus Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:11 pm

First, since the pot appears to be the problem as the sound came back after you sprayed it, look there first.
    IMO, spraying pots is a bandaid. Bandaids eventually fall off.
    Quality pots are lubricated and last the life of the track.

If there were a problem elsewhere, the sound would be quite different, not just lower in volume.

Buy a Bournes or P&G or Alps or other high-quality pot and replace the noisy one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:51 pm