The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues

krcrisp

Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues Empty Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues

Post by krcrisp Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:23 pm

I built it, and it was fine from the beginning and ran without issues for a couple years.  Then the Weber rectifier with the big resistor in it failed, taking out the fuse.  New fuse and I built a rectifier using Bob's sketch with a couple diodes.  That worked fine for about 6 months, then blew the fuse again.  I tried a WS-1 from Webber, which is what it has now.  I have the time delay, the Russian caps, and the output potentiometer installed.  I like the sound but the unreliability is getting annoying.  It is stock but I added a pilot light several years ago since it being "on" in a sunny room is not otherwise obvious.

I have noticed that the bias voltages have been wandering on all 4 tubes.   Not a lot.  Set at .496, for example, it might wonder up to 51 or so.  Sometimes they are down in the .47 range, even though they were set at .50 previously.  This will happen in a day or two of operation, running 4 to 6 hours.  I check the bias after the amp has been on for at least an hour.

I was out of town for 10 days and my wife reported she was listening and heard a loud pop or bang.  She shut it off.

I got home and turned it on. It sounds OK.  But one of the output tubes now is biased at 0.62 and the range of adjustment won't let me get it any lower.

Any of your comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  I'm a wiz with a soldering iron and can follow directions but I don't have a great deal of electronics knowledge.

Thanks!
    krcrisp

Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues Empty Re: Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues

Post by krcrisp Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:31 pm

And I'll add that I just swapped the power tubes on the side of the amp with the issue. Now the different tube in the socket that read too high is reading 18. Not 0.18, but 18.0. I shut it off.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues Empty Re: Need some help with VTA ST-120 issues

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:47 am

Check (with the amp off) that the 10 ohm 2 watt resistor (that does from pins 1/8 to chassis ground) on the tube socket that is giving you bias trouble does indeed measure about 10 ohms ? If it does not measure close to 10 ohms, then replace that resistor. While you are at it, you might as well measure the other three resistors on the other three tube sockets and see if they are in spec.

Bob

knotscott likes this post

krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:49 am

Thank you Bob, I appreciate it. I'll get to it this morning.
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Fri Feb 16, 2024 2:07 pm

The three sockets which are not acting up too much are 10.0, 9.9 and 9.9. The one which was measures 0.0 ohms. So being the electronics genius that I am, I think I should replace that resistor.

I really appreciate your advice Bob!

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:22 pm

krcrisp wrote:The three sockets which are not acting up too much are 10.0, 9.9 and 9.9.  The one which was measures 0.0 ohms.  So being the electronics genius that I am, I think I should replace that resistor.

I really appreciate your advice Bob!

Yes - replace that 10 ohm 2 watt resistor .. Also > The tube that was in that socket may also have an issue that caused the resistor to blow ? You may need a new output tube in that socket ?

Bob

krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:32 pm

I soldered in a new 2 watt 10 ohm resistor. Turned it on and it sounded fine for about 15 minutes, then all silent with a blown fuse. What should I try now?
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:33 pm

And I'll add that the bias readings were all ok, well under 0.50, and slowly climbing as it warmed up. I hadn't adjusted them yet.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:40 pm

krcrisp wrote:I soldered in a new 2 watt 10 ohm resistor.  Turned it on and it sounded fine for about 15 minutes, then all silent with a blown fuse.  What should I try now?

It could be a bad rectifier tube or a bad output tube .. When that 10 ohm 2 watt resistor is taken out, it is usually a bad output tube in that socket or it could be a bad rectifier. Check first to see if that new 10 ohm 2 watt resistor that you just put in has blown. If it has blown, get rid of the output tube that was in that socket ?

Bob
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 pm

I will check. But I deliberately put a different tube in that socket before I powered it up, as you suggested earlier. Thanks.
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:22 pm

The resistor I replaced is still good. How do I know it is the rectifier? If it is, why am I going through these ss rectifiers so quickly and over and over again? This would be #3 in two months.
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:55 am

Strongly suggest you install the dual rectifier board upgrade:

http://www.tubes4hifi.com/DR.htm
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:34 am

How do I test one of those copper top ss rectifiers to see if it really is bad? When fuses went before I replaced the rectifiers since that seemed like the standard advice on here. This one (WS1) has really only been in service 25 hours or less before the fuse blew this time.

My only concern about the dual rectifier kit was the quality of the instructions. I need good step by step instructions. I emailed tubes4hifi about that and did not get a response.
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:38 am

And let me add, since I don't think I mentioned it previously, the amp is running a pair of Cornwall speakers. So I might be using perhaps 2 watts of my 60. I thought the diode failure was related to running the amp hard. I'm sure not doing that.
    LeGrace
    LeGrace

Post by LeGrace Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:59 am

Both the VTA 120 and M125 designs run the rectification section really hard. Makes no difference how much the amps are drawing. SS offers a bit more margin then a 5ar4, but folks still can run into issues. I went with AB boards to address frequent failures on my M125's, was losing tubes, 10 ohm resistors, and fuses left and right to the point I was ready to give up on tubes. 5 years post upgrade amps remain totally stable. When I look at whats involved installing this board appears much simpler to me. Strange you didnt get a response, but there was an ownership change.
    krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:49 am

Well, I solved the mystery of the wandering bias readings. Here in the PNW, it is quite common for homes to be electrically heated. Out house, built in 1994, has eight baseboard heaters throughout the house. Depending on which one(s) click on and when, the line voltage does drift up and down by a few volts. Could be 115, or it could be 119V, or anywhere in between. From what I can tell, that has a surprising (to me, anyway) effect on the bias readings.

As to other issues and the blown fuse, I moved the amp out to the garage and hooked it up to two smaller Klipsch speakers. I looked at the blown resistor I replaced and it looked fine and tested good. With a new 5 amp slow blow fuse, I powered it up. It ran fine and loud for two hours in two different sessions. Obviously the WS1 rectifier is still working fine. At start up, before the TDR kicks in, the amp draws 0.65 amps. When it does kick in it draws a rock steady 1.65 amps.

So why would the fuse have blown after I put in the new resistor?
    Longwood
    Longwood

Post by Longwood Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:52 pm

I agree with LeGrace about adding the DR upgrade.  I am currently working on assembling an ST-120 with a Duel rectifier upgrade. It is not difficult to install.  My personal ST-120 has a 5u4gb, and those are rated for 250ma.  There are possible issues with how fast a 5u4gb warms up, but I have had no issues to date. It also will lower B+ some which is needed anyway if your line voltage is approaching 120vac. Either solution should get you very reliable performance from your amp. Of course you will need to re-bias after either of these mods, and FWIW I run output tubes at 45ma in that amp.

LeGrace likes this post

krcrisp

Post by krcrisp Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:33 pm

If I go with a 5U4GB, do I have to bypass the time delay option?
    Longwood
    Longwood

Post by Longwood Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:14 pm

I would disconnect it, I am not running a time delay, and I would not recommend hitting the rectifier with full current load all at once after all other tubes are warm.   I had a discussion with friend about using the time delay to control heater voltage to the rectifier and delay rectifier warm up, but I have not tried this in practice to see if there are any issues. I would also recommend getting an NOS US made 5u4GB. Although, I will say I have many hours on a new production EH 5u4GB in my amp.  Mileage may vary with new production tubes though.   For clarification on what is going on with warm up, a 5u4 variant will warm up and start conducting in about 4 seconds, a 5ar4/gz34 takes ~12 seconds which is about how long all the other tubes take.  This allows for a "soft start".  With a 5u4, B+ is up much sooner than the other tubes cathodes are warm, and many argue that this will damage tubes by what is called "cathode stripping".   I don't want to go down a rabbit hole here, but this does not seem to be an issue with small signal tubes operated at relatively low voltage.  I have designed and built many amps with solid state rectifiers that have full B+ almost instantly, and not had any issues over thousands of hours of use. Again, my personal experience.

Another note on this. A 5u4 pulls ~3 amps of heater current, the ST120 power xfmr is rated for 4 amps so not an issue. Original Dynaco ST70 xfmr was only rated for 2 amps.

These amps sound great! and with this mod, you should be able to enjoy it for years.
    smoorenc

Post by smoorenc Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:31 am

I will say my VTA-120 has been running so much better and more stable with Dual Rectifier board. I was wondering if my tube/resister issues were related to the large 4 in 1 cap.

LeGrace likes this post

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:19 pm