The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels

aichholzer

Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels Empty Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels

Post by aichholzer Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:11 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum, and look forward to joining the community.

I'd like to ask the group's opinion on this situation with my late 50s/early 60s ST70. It makes a humming sound that surges and stops with a crackle/thump, then repeats over and over. (I recorded the sound, but since I'm a new user, I can't post a link to it here for 7 days.)

The caps are relatively recent - 10 years or so (they're not original).

The tubes don't have much listening time on them - less than 100 hours, I'd guess.

What kind of problem does this sound like to you? Thank you for your guidance!

Ron
    Dan W
    Dan W
    Admin

Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels Empty Re: Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels

Post by Dan W Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:42 pm

Dale Stevens likes this post

aichholzer

Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels Empty Re: Surging hum followed by crackle, then repeats - both channels

Post by aichholzer Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:43 am

Thanks, Dan - I'll get to work!
    aichholzer

Post by aichholzer Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:00 pm

Looks like the 7199s are dead, the rectifier tube is iffy, and the quad cap is bad. Thanks for sending me in the right direction, Dan.

Question for you: what is the current thinking about the dependability of new quad caps? I'm wondering if I should try a new one or replace the can with a more modern module.

Again, thank you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:46 pm