The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

1st ST 70 - Low Volume

Russ

1st ST 70 - Low Volume Empty 1st ST 70 - Low Volume

Post by Russ Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok, I'm new here so it may take a little while for me to catch up and I won't be insulted if I'm told that I need to find a more elemtary forum so lets get started. I just got my first ST-70 and set it up to check it out. After replacing one of the the bad 7199 tubes which got rid of an annoying buzz in that channel it played ok except for the volume seems quite low. I say this because I also run a Mcintosh MC240 and though I don't expect the ST-70 to match up, it only produced about 50% of the volume of the MC240. Any suggestions where I start looking?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

1st ST 70 - Low Volume Empty Re: 1st ST 70 - Low Volume

Post by Bob Latino Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:33 am

Hi Russ,

If the low volume is common to both channels then you have to think of something that is common to both channels. Usually the high voltage DC power supply is common cause of low volume on BOTH channels. This includes the rectifier tube, the quad cap and the resistors on the quad cap. Go to the web page below ..

Dynaco Tube manuals

and download the ST-70 manual. On page 9 of the manual there is a voltage check for the stock ST-70. Do a full voltage check on your amp and let us know what you find?

Bob
    Russ

1st ST 70 - Low Volume Empty Voltage Checking

Post by Russ Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:55 pm

Bob
    Thanks for your reply. I did download the manual and I will go through the voltage checking procedures. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for giving me a place to start.

Russ

Sponsored content

1st ST 70 - Low Volume Empty Re: 1st ST 70 - Low Volume

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 11:29 am