The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

crazy runs in factory transformer paint?

j beede
    j beede

crazy runs in factory transformer paint? Empty crazy runs in factory transformer paint?

Post by j beede Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:55 pm

My new project is a late model ST-70... I assume it is a later model as some of the caps and the bias pots have a 1970 date code and the chassis has the modern Dynaco logo on it. The transformers have the original paint on them--no rust at all--but with the worst runs I have ever seen in any painted "anything". It is as though the covers were dipped like Krispy Kreme frosted doughnuts... I am assuming that the white "Dynaco" and part numbers indicate factory paint. My Mark IIIs were just the opposite--barely enough paing to cover the metal (and no primer). Anyway I am trying to decide whether to strip and repaint or leave the factory satin black. The cloth leads coming out of the power transformer have a black tarry "coating" (like auto rustproofing) on them that continues for maybe an inch before the bright colors appear. Have you seen this before?
    ...j
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

crazy runs in factory transformer paint? Empty Re: crazy runs in factory transformer paint?

Post by DynakitParts Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi J,
    At some point...Dynaco decided to dip the entire transformer including the covers
    in a tar like black paint to reduce the mechanical hum. This was also done on
    most all of the PA-774 power transformers. One word comes to mind is "Tar Baby".

Not an easy task stripping these...

Apparently they masked off the leads during this process.

Kevin @ Dynakit

Current date/time is Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 pm