The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please)

Russell

MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please) Empty MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please)

Post by Russell Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:24 am

After years of resisting, I’ve persuaded myself to build myself a thermionic valve based amplifier and have decided on a couple of Dynaco MKIII’s. I’m not looking to faithfully reproduce the looks of a Mk3, in my opinion it’s not the prettiest of amplifiers and hope to end up with something looking sleek and modern.

Here’s the rub….

Does anyone know where I can obtain power (230V mains) and output transformers and the supply choke in the UK? I note there are many worthy contenders from the US and Canada but the cost of shipping to the UK is very high.

I am tempted by a toroidal power transformer, like the Tomiko part available from eBay, but the shipping to the UK is nearly the cost of the transformer again. The Tomiko toroid also has 2 x 6.3V heater windings which could help wiring layout.

As for the output transformer, I believe this should be as close as possible to the original – unless the knowledgeable members of this forum tell me otherwise.

Finally, I plan to point-to-point wire the supply and driver stages instead of using the PCB used on the original MK3’s and use 4 separate 600V 105degC axial electrolytics instead of the quad cap of the original, I believe a better layout can be achieved, but again I would value opinion.

I’ll use modern, high quality components throughout (not necessarily “audiophile” which don’t always offer true value for money) and other than using a silicon diode to replace the selenium rectifier and I’m not planning any other changes to the design…… Yet! I want to see how it performs and sounds 'as is' first.

Anyway, any help with a UK source for the transformers would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Russell
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please) Empty Re: MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please)

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Hi Russ,
    a quick 10 second google found these for you:
    http://www.transformers.uk.com/audio-transformers-chokes.htm
    http://www.custom-transformers.co.uk/index.cfm/products/mains
    you could give them a call or email them with the info on what you need
    I'm sure there are many others also, but many of these places are looking for larger orders than 1 or 2 pieces
    Russell

MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please) Empty Re: MK III Transformers in UK? (& Other Advice Please)

Post by Russell Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:57 am

I was hoping to find something already in production or a UK stockist/distributor of the foreign product, especially for the output transformer. 2 or 3 pieces of custom transformers would probably be more expensive than shipping from the US/Canada.

However, I do have a transformer manufacturer near me and will investigate the cost of reverse engineering the o/p transformer and a custom wound power transformer. Maybe there’s a market in the UK/Europe to justify a modest batch run of each.
    hansfob
    hansfob

Post by hansfob Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Hi Russ,

I'm in the UK and have a couple of Dynaco mk3s that are completely stock apart from their 230V mains transformers. The transformers look like the Dynaco but are not. I do not know where they came from unfortunately but one has started to vibrate to the extent that I'll soon have to investigate the problem. Needless to say I may well be in the market for a new transformer myself so am interested in your post. I am not interested in toroidal transformers but please bear me in mind if you are looking to have a couple made. Perhaps we can do a joint order to lower the cost a little.

The link that tubes4hifi sent you namely: http://www.transformers.uk.com/audio-transformers-chokes.htm is probably a good bet in my opinion as I have another amp (not Dynaco) with their very shiny mains, output and choke transformers and they sound great. I say shiny because the lamination of these transformers are encapsulated in a mirror finished band (pimp my transformer).

I appreciate the taste for something looking modern and I must admit I am in the process of experimenting with this myself but you may wish to consider some of Bob Latino's posts that advise keeping a Dynaco amplifier design looking as much as possible to the way it was originally intended for a better re-sale value. My experience has been more in the listening than the looking to the extent that I get a great kick out of friends being gob smacked by the quality of sound from something that looks like it should belong in Flash Gordon's living room.

Just one other note - I was at an audio jumble only a couple of weeks back in Tunbridge, Kent and one of the first things that caught my eye there were a pair of MK3's for £900. These were also completely stock including the mains transformers that were 110V. Personally, if these remained stock but had the UK voltage mains transformers, as they were being sold in the UK, I think they would have sold to somebody almost straight away at that asking price or near to it.

Regards

Brian
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:54 pm

of course your least expensive and probably best alternative is just to purchase a new set of transformers from DynaKitParts.com
    and then buy yourself an inexpensive 240-120v converter, what are those, about $20? Looks like $17 (500w) plus shipping from here:
    http://www.world-import.com/transformers.htm

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 am