The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

PAS 3 Question

cartek

PAS 3 Question Empty PAS 3 Question

Post by cartek Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:35 am

Hi. New here, but have had Dynaco stuff for about 10 years now. (PAS 3, FM 3, and used to have an ST 70). Very interesting reading so far. I have an issue with my volume control on the PAS. Would like to change it out for an Alps control. The Alps has no tap for the loudness feature. Will I lose all tone control if this is not connected?

Merry Christmas, Dan
    Sal
    Sal

PAS 3 Question Empty Re: PAS 3 Question

Post by Sal Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:50 am

No, you do not lose your tone controls. Your loudness switch will not function with the Alps potentiometer.

Merry Christmas,
    Sal
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:56 pm

loudness function is something that gives an automatic variable bass boost depending on volume setting,
    usually only on the first 1/3 rotation of the volume control, but it is separate and not dependent on the tone controls
    cartek

Post by cartek Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks for the quick replies! This is good news about the tone controls. I do not use loudness anyway. I do however, play some recordings that need a little tweakng.

Dan
    cartek

Post by cartek Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Update: New volume control is installed. I don't know how it works yet because I decided to do a couple of other mods as well. I built up a new RCA connector strip, then found a nice selector switch in my stash of parts, it is a ceramic type, now I have to do the phono board mods... Thats what I'm into now, need to order the appropriate caps. I know the filament supply is a weak link, but, it tested out fine electrically, including the filters. These caps have held their value, and ESR is also very good I may leave this for another time. I am, however going to install a fuse in the primary line circuit, just in case. It's a tough one, the line between "git 'er done" and do all the stuff at once, 'cause I just wanna hear some tunes! Using a Heathkit AA-32 integrated in the meantime. (It needed a bit of tlc, but at least I got something in the interim)!

Dan
    Westy56
    Westy56

Post by Westy56 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:40 am

cartek wrote:Update: New volume control is installed. I don't know how it works yet because I decided to do a couple of other mods as well. I built up a new RCA connector strip, then found a nice selector switch in my stash of parts, it is a ceramic type, now I have to do the phono board mods... Thats what I'm into now, need to order the appropriate caps. I know the filament supply is a weak link, but, it tested out fine electrically, including the filters. These caps have held their value, and ESR is also very good I may leave this for another time. I am, however going to install a fuse in the primary line circuit, just in case. It's a tough one, the line between "git 'er done" and do all the stuff at once, 'cause I just wanna hear some tunes! Using a Heathkit AA-32 integrated in the meantime. (It needed a bit of tlc, but at least I got something in the interim)!

Dan

Lucky you, the Heathkit is a very fine sounding unit.

Steve

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 11:05 pm