The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube

Feistygoat

TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube Empty TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube

Post by Feistygoat Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:19 am

Hey all,

Anybody try these tube amp doctor GZ34's in their amp yet?

I was wondering how they sound. So they've got a nice look, and if anybody's had good experience with them, I may give them a shot
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube Empty Re: TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube

Post by Bob Latino Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 am

The TAD (Tube Amp Doctor) 5AR4/GZ34 is a selected and tested Shuguang (Chinese) GZ34 sold out of the Netherlands (I believe). It is the same as the Ruby GZ34 which is marketed here in the USA ..

Bob
    Feistygoat

TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube Empty Re: TAD 5AR4 cryo treated rectifier tube

Post by Feistygoat Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:07 pm

Great thanks,
    I actually have some valve art (which I believe are also the same) el34's that I've been impressed with.
    I suppose I'll pick one up in case my RCA rectifier burns out
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Doesn't the cryo treatment add quite a premium to the price tag?

I guess the fantasy is that things brought back from cryogenic freezing shall have a renewed lease on life, whether animate or, now with tubes, inanimate.

Seriously, I'd be interested to know if any of our forum members have tried and heard a difference.
    Feistygoat

Post by Feistygoat Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:24 pm

Ditto - all Im concerned with is if there's any tangible audible difference

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:05 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Blitzen
    Blitzen

Post by Blitzen Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:39 pm

A signal tube, as in the 12DW7, is quite a different story than a rectifier when it comes to an audible difference.
    If you want to pay more for a cryo rectifier go ahead- paying more makes things sound better.
    If these were guitar amplifiers we're talking about it would be a different story. Rectifiers can make more of a difference with an amplifier that's being pushed hard.
    Dheick

Post by Dheick Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 am

I tried one, It was not cyro treated. but I put it in an amp that had a problem. The tube plates turned red and it burned out. It was dead even on the tube tester. So I just put it aside and about a year later I tried the tube in another amp and it has been working for about 3 months now. I'm not sure you will hear much diffrence in the sound by changing the rectifire tube.

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:34 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Feistygoat

Post by Feistygoat Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:53 pm

Peter,
    I more than likely will, but What blitzen was saying about rectifiers making more of a difference at higher output levels make sense. I have a NOS RCA 5ar4 as well as a new JJ Tesla, and I can't distinguish between the two in comparisons. Then again, I think my Valve Art EL-34's sound as good as my vintage Telefunken EL-34's...either my ear isn't as refined as other people's, or too many loud concerts in the past have left me with less than optimal hearing. Nevertheless, I'll experiment and let you guys know - after all, I'll get bored if I can't fiddle with my audio equipment. There's always something else to try.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm