The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35

PJCINNH

Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35 Empty Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35

Post by PJCINNH Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:46 am

I inherited from my dad an older SCA-35 integrated amp. It plays good but has some bad scratches on the top of the cover because I think my dad put a turntable on top of the amp. What is the best way to refinish the top cover and get rid of the scratches?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35 Empty Repainting a Dynaco outer case

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:55 am

You can't really refinish the scratches. What you will have to do is repaint the entire outer case. First smooth out the scratches by feathering the edges of the scratches. Next, clean the case of any foreign material and make sure that is dry.

To repaint and to keep your amp original looking, you have to use a paint that is very close in color to the original "Dynaco brown" color. I have found that the color closest to the original Dynaco brown is a "Java Brown" that is produced by both Rustoleum and Krylon. The only catch is that both of these have a glossy surface and the original Dynaco top cover surface was not glossy. The glossy surface can be toned down very close to the original low gloss by giving the surface a clear coat of Minwax Satin Polyurethane. Besides toning down the surface, the clear polyurethane will also give the surface greater scratch resistance. Another option is to use Krylon 4292 Camouflage paint - BUT - this only comes in an ultra flat finish and this color (although close to the original color) is just a shade darker than the original color. You could also clear coat this paint with the satin polyurethane mentioned above to give the ultra flat surface a low gloss. Understand that you will probably never get it perfect but if done correctly a casual observer may not even realize that your amp was repainted.

Bob
    dynacophil
    dynacophil

Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35 Empty Re: Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35

Post by dynacophil Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:14 am

in commom car paint stores u should be able to get additive to mat glossy paint, but try with a small amount if it is compatible Smile
    here in Ge they even offer the service to manufacture individual spraypaints for small money.

Sponsored content

Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35 Empty Re: Refinsh scratches on an SCA-35

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:44 am