The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Capacitor Burn In (and V-Cap mod)

plexus
    plexus

Capacitor Burn In (and V-Cap mod) Empty Capacitor Burn In (and V-Cap mod)

Post by plexus Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:22 pm

I decided to plunge into V-Caps. When I went from Multi-caps in my MK3's to Jensen AlPIO the sound was definitely better, more depth of image and a more smooth on the highs. That was many years ago. I decided to try the V-Cap route and bought a matched quad of CuTF's. I just put them in. Now you should know that I am no easily swayed by the claims of things like caps etc sounding different. I was very surprised at the difference the Jensen's made when I put them in. I've done a lot of true blind and double-blind A/B/X testing when I was in university in the 80s and 90s. Much was done in the audio lab with J. Vanderkooy and S. Lipschitz (you might know them as they are have been very influential in the high end audio world, at least back then). Their research showed, and I concur from testing, that anything beyond decent copper wire for speaker wire or decently shielded quality copper interconnects has no audible or measurable difference. I have honed my "be objective" skills though these experiences. so back to the caps...

They definitely are more revealing than the Jensens but they sound hard and strident. there is more detail though. so i am hearing what is apparently typical of these caps when not burned in.

Now onto burning in... these need about 400 hours which is 3 weeks continuous. do I really have to run my MK3's to burn these in? is there another way to burn them in which is not going to be as detrimental to my tubes? I have some working low quality tubes I can put in if I need to do it this way. I have a solid state receiver - is there some way of using it to do the burn in, perhaps off the speaker terminals? any suggestions would be appreciated. i am wary of running the amps for 3 weeks straight. i want to get the burn in done as soon as possible.
    heyraz
    heyraz

Capacitor Burn In (and V-Cap mod) Empty Re: Capacitor Burn In (and V-Cap mod)

Post by heyraz Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:48 am

My understanding is that they have to cycle on and off during the break in period. Heat up/Cool down, expand/contract, breakdown/rebuild. Patience is needed.
    zx

Post by zx Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:04 am

As for the V-caps i have a Tube OTL that i got 4ea Amp of the V-caps for ...It was too be a BIG setup... In sound...Thay had been in for over a year...Puled the out an put the $5.solen back in.... The sound is much sweeter an better...well too [me]V-caps..Brite an hard.for over a year...I have always thought that [you] well brakin before most any things in Audio ..like wire an caps...Not say things dont setel in.. Thay do but..What you like is the tickit...
    Its never the money that puts me off... It the others saying this is the best cap evermade For audio....Well it just goes too showes... If you dont go..you dont no!
    goodluck an have funn..

Thanks for the site Bob
    plexus
    plexus

Post by plexus Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:33 am

yes i agree with you about sound preferances. when people ask my advice about audio i tell them what i know, what i use and what i hear but i never tell them that anything is defacto around the subjectivity of sound. i encourage people to listen and determine for themselves what they like best.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:47 pm