The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Speaker imedance taps

plexus
    plexus

Speaker imedance taps Empty Speaker imedance taps

Post by plexus Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:31 pm

I just realized my speakers are rated for 4 ohm and can dip to 1. martin logan SL3. ya i know but they sound amazing. i am pretty sure my vintage mk3's are set on the 8 ohm tap. so what does that mean, if you have a different speaker impedance on the wrong tap? i would i assume i should connect it to the 4 ohm tap. i just want to know what the effects would be having it on the wrong tap vs right tap. thanks
    zx

Speaker imedance taps Empty Re: Speaker imedance taps

Post by zx Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:23 am

Hi
    I have been useing tube amps for 35 years...An i have ML SL3 an Ascents..I have 2pr of Mk3s 1pr stock 1pr with a diff frontend..As for the taps i find there to be about 2db less output
    from tap to tap on any outout tranfourmer...like 8 too 4ohms 2db less.I run the 8ohm tap on all speakers ...I get more out an sounds better to me but.....you can say as others....what sounds good to you i like to run the feedback off the 4 ohm tap...there agin for the best sound...i also have other tube amps an do the same...16ohm tap dose not sound good on any speakers i have owened....goodluck

thaks for the site..Bob
    RMG

Post by RMG Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:33 pm

You will not hurt anything but you are not achieving maximum power transfer from your amplifier. The impedance on the amp and speakers must be balanced to achieve maximum power transfer.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:46 am