The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

opinions requested

masonpowell

opinions requested Empty opinions requested

Post by masonpowell Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:36 pm

I have just insanely become the proud (?) owner of a Vintage Dynaco Stereo 150 Power Amplifier.
    I gather that the dyna preamps are not necessarily the best match for the amps. What preamp would you recommend that I consider. (I don't have a lot of money, but want quality preamping...)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

opinions requested Empty Re: opinions requested

Post by Bob Latino Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Hi,

If you need a preamp for your Dynaco Stereo 150, you should probably check out the VTA preamp kits at the link below. If you are not into kit building, Roy or his technician can build them for you .. Even the wired versions of the Tubes4hifi SP series of preamps are still a good value ..

VTA preamp kits

Bob
    masonpowell

Post by masonpowell Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:11 pm

Thanks, Bob.
    I'm sure that they are great, but I am on a tight budget...
    plexus
    plexus

Post by plexus Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:48 pm

no preamp. i don't use a preamp. the only reason to use an active preamp is if your sources dont have enough gain to drive the amp. for example, my sources are: DAC, phono stage and video receiver. my DAC is a pro-audio unit (Benchmark DAC1) and has more than enough output to drive my Mk3's to overload. the phono preamp is a VTA PH15 and it has again way more output than needed. same with the video receiver. so, no need to boost the gain of any of these sources.

I made up a switch box with 6 inputs into a Emla rotary switch that goes into a khozmo 48-step Dale/Vishay attenuator and right into the amps. I dont turn it much past 50% for loud volume. no active preamp, much better sound. now this passive line stage (PLS, as it could be called) was pricey because i used premium parts. about $450 to be exact, mind you i got a deal on some of the parts so it didn't cost me that much. however, using cheaper parts (will you actually notice a difference? probably not), you could use a regular rotary switch, the passive attenuate that Bob and Roy (VTA) sells (i think its $50), and some cheaper RCA jacks. you could likely put it together for $150 including a case and 4-5 inputs.

You can also find pre-made ones on ebay. there are some good ones out there and prices vary.
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:59 am

Unless you have vinyl you want to play, passive is the way to go.

This seller has reasonable prices for most of the items you would need:
    http://stores.ebay.com/Goodtronic/_i.html?_nkw=Volume+Control&submit=Search&_sid=937260044

A chassis can be found on ebay too.

If you need to play vinyl a PAT4 or PAT5 preamp can be found at a bargain sometimes:
    http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=dynaco+pat*&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_okw=&_oexkw=&_adv=1&LH_Complete=1&_udlo=&_udhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=200&_fpos=&_fsct=&LH_SALE_CURRENCY=0&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50
    masonpowell

Post by masonpowell Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 am

Thanks for your input. Will consider options now...

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 4:19 am