The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Driver Board Cap Question

harpy
    harpy

Driver Board Cap Question Empty Driver Board Cap Question

Post by harpy Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:25 am

Say on a stock Mk III does the .1uf need to be the same type of cap as the .25uf coupling caps?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Driver Board Cap Question Empty Re: Driver Board Cap Question

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:49 am

No - You can use most any kind of cap for that .10 uF cap. Dynaco used 600 volt rated caps for the two .25 uF main coupling caps but I believe that .10 uF cap was 400 volt rated. So just make sure that the .10 uF cap you use in that position is rated 400 volts or higher.

Bob

Post by Guest Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:31 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:33 pm

Good info as always, Thanks. Here is a mock up. I would cut the leads and mount wire leads (Dynakit hookup wire) at the center, but I am a little worried about them being so close to the KT-88s. Would they get any feedback, or too much heat from the tubes? The Russian Teflons are just nutty big and forget about putting one in front.

Driver Board Cap Question DSC_1204

Driver Board Cap Question DSC_1202

Driver Board Cap Question DSC_1205-1

Some different angles.

Post by Guest Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 pm

I'll give it a try. I was going to mount them with 3M 4941 VHB Acrylic foam tape. It will support 90 lbs. per square in, is good till 300 degrees f, and is UL listed. The tape is .45mm think and I may stack two pieces to give it a little more height off the board. What's on there now is the backing paper of the tape. They still need to be trimmed the length of the cap.
    I was thinking of cutting down leads about of a 1/4" and drilling a new mounting hole to run the wire. Once soldered, shrink tubed. I was going to give up on them all together because they didn't fit on the stock board, but the Dynakit board packs the front resistors tighter. They are kind of ugly, but I am out of real-estate underneath.
    Someone said on another Forum they sounded better cutting off the metal case off. It looked like a marshmallow. Anyway..... Thanks for the help.
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 pm

Can they be mounted on the bottom of the board?
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Yes, but it is still a tight squeeze as they have to be fairly close to the board to avoid contact with the bottom cover. They are also very heavy and I wouldn't trust the industrial tape as the sole mounting method. This gives you a rough idea of them underneath the board.

Driver Board Cap Question DSC_1207

To be honest it's probably not worth the effort above or below. I am still waiting on two that are somewhere between Ohio and Moscow. If they haven't showed by the time I get the second amp built, I may just use K-40's all the way around and be done with it. I had seen pictures and knew the dimensions, but didn't quite grasp their shear size. I think the saying is: "Well it looked good on paper."

hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:39 pm

You could try a layer of clear heat-shrink around the body of those caps and attaching them to the board with stranded wire. Then use your foam tape on the bottom cover to add some support (sticky side to the bottom cover and don't remove the paper from the side facing the caps).
    harpy
    harpy

Post by harpy Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Thanks Ken that's a good idea. I hadn't though of shrink tubing the the cap. I picked up some 1.5" clear shrink tubing and will explore that option further. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:04 pm