The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
mike mytko
Pillo69
Bob Latino
Roy Mottram
kevinmi
wedg714
baddog1946
11 posters

Where do I find vinyl these days??

kevinmi
    kevinmi

Where do I find vinyl these days?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where do I find vinyl these days??

Post by kevinmi Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:31 am

anbitet66 wrote:Yes, absolutely. I just looked at Pro-Ject's website, and some of their offerings are around $400. Not too shabby for decent quality. My only reservation is that the uturnaudio turntable is made from MDF; the base and the platter. For $250, you can get it in green or black and the platter is made of acrylic. Either way, they are looking to raise $60,000 and as of my posting they only needed about $3500 to reach their goal. Lets see what happens. Tony

(Update: They just hit $60,000.)

Actually, MDF is used quite a bit in building turntables and speaker cabinets. It has great damping values, and is easy to machine. I'm not a big fan of it myself, but I wouldn't let it be the sole reason for not trying something out. If you look at many of your "vintage" turntables, you will find the square box plinths were made of MDF. I had a couple of JVC turntables that were made from MDF and they never gave me a problem. I've had a couple of turntables with acrylic platters that were fine also. At that price point I would worry more about the accuracy of the speed and the tracking of the tonearm, which will affect the sound more than the material the turntable and plinth are made of.
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Where do I find vinyl these days?? - Page 2 Empty Re: Where do I find vinyl these days??

Post by baddog1946 Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:36 am

Hi to all members:
    Merry Christmas and a happy new year! I want to thank all the members personally who sent in the tips on where to find vinyl recordings. You have pointed me to some materials I have been looking for for a long time. I already have some in the pipe to my California mule.
    Once again the forum has been a great resource for information and opinion. Special season's greetings and thanks to Bob and Roy for that.

I do have one more item I would love to find and have been looking for forever but cannot find anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of "Brer Soul" by Melvin Van Peebles> I would take it in any format.
    baddog1946
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:50 am

baddog1946 wrote:Hi to all members:
    Merry Christmas and a happy new year! I want to thank all the members personally who sent in the tips on where to find vinyl recordings. You have pointed me to some materials I have been looking for for a long time. I already have some in the pipe to my California mule.
    Once again the forum has been a great resource for information and opinion. Special season's greetings and thanks to Bob and Roy for that.

I do have one more item I would love to find and have been looking for forever but cannot find anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of "Brer Soul" by Melvin Van Peebles> I would take it in any format.
    baddog1946
    Amazon shows they have it on CD, plus a link to used copy on vinyl

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:04 am