The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Musical preferences

Sprags

Musical preferences Empty Musical preferences

Post by Sprags Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 pm

Is it OK to play electronica music on a tube amp?
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Musical preferences Empty Re: Musical preferences

Post by Zimmer64 Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:32 am

I think the amp does not mind any kind of music Very Happy

Mchael
    ixe13

Post by ixe13 Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:05 pm

It's actually sound pretty good I find,

I listen to all kind of music, and I can say that techno, house and/or jungle do benefit from the "warmer" sound of a tube amp.

As far as ambient music is concern, the great soundstage of a tube amp makes it sound in three dimensions. It does have "ambience" for sure!! But the production has
    to be top notch tough! a bad production wont sound better because it's played on your tube amp...

Since tube amp dont "overdo" in the low frequencies, the big kick drum, or low bass note you often find in break beat, for example, are
    at the right place in the music mix on a hifi setup. (read: in your living room.) but they're still there in full force.

I listened to electronic music quit a bit on 4 differents types of tube amp, and it sounded alright to my ears on all of them.

Sprags

Post by Sprags Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:26 pm

I actually meant to that to be sarcastic since a lot of the techno, electronica music is digital....
    Only another week at the most before I have my own tube amp.....
    ixe13

Post by ixe13 Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:59 am

Lol, Laughing

I took it pretty much "to the foot of the letter" if this expression exist in english...

But you know, I produced some electronic music in another life, and you dont mix a techno track with the same approach that you would
    with an acoustic instrument one.

A the beginning of the techno danse music, a lot of the production was done pretty much on more basic recording equipment and
    it was basicly aim to be played on loud PA system without much tough for a fancy production.
    Not to say that it was badly produce, but the target was: to be played Loud to kick you in the %$"?*& and make you move on the dance floor.

Sometimes you don't even have a "real bass instrument" playing a standard melodic bass line. Low frequencies from the kick drum
    would suffice to provide the low end if played real loud on big bass bin

From that angle, your question make a "lot of sense"

One thing I know, when I play techno music, the tubes on my amp glow brighter.

ixe13

Post by ixe13 Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:00 am

"One thing I know, when I play techno music, the tubes on my amp glow brighter."

...........noooooooot !!! Very Happy
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:03 pm

ixe13 wrote:

One thing I know, when I play techno music, the tubes on my amp glow brighter.

I'll compare my glow sunny to yours once my shiny new ST-120 gets off the bench and I load up some Porcupine Tree.

One of my favorite test cuts - Russia on Ice, Lightbulb Sun. I'm sure the grand finale on that has sent a lot of amps crying for their mommies ...
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:25 pm

sKiZo . . . . personally I prefer King Crimson from early 70s, but no techno crap!
    glad that Sprags clarified his initial post - I had no clue how to respond to that! Sad
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:09 pm

Get the King Crimson remasters yet? I got Court, Lizard and Red ... all outstanding and done by PT's Steven Wilson with Robert Fripp leaning over his shoulder, nudging the sliders ... Starless will just blow you away ... the multichannel mixes came direct from first generation tapes and are truly excellent on my Oppo ...

Funny you should mention KC in this thread as Fripp was heavy into electronica ... remember Frippertronics?

I can't post links yet, but you can gooooooogle it ...

Sprags

Post by Sprags Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:09 am

tubes4hifi wrote:sKiZo . . . . personally I prefer King Crimson from early 70s, but no techno crap!
    glad that Sprags clarified his initial post - I had no clue how to respond to that! Sad

Actually I do like electronica...but my preferences are music by Orbital, Underworld and Future Sounds of London...though I saw Kraftwerk play in club in Germany right before their hit Autobahn hit the US in 1974. The first three bands actually compose stuff that's much more artistically created than a lot of that Techno House stuff that's just a bunch of 'eeps ops and orps' as a girlfriend referred to it.

My choice in music ranges from big band to fusion to electronica to classical and jazz....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:33 pm