The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
DynakitParts
TorontoDave
sKiZo
7 posters

Pretty Transformer!

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Pretty Transformer! Empty Pretty Transformer!

Post by sKiZo Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:32 pm

You can never have too much chrome ...

Pretty Transformer! Chrome-transformer

Guess what I used ... come on ... guess!

TorontoDave

Pretty Transformer! Empty Re: Pretty Transformer!

Post by TorontoDave Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:00 pm

sKiZo wrote:You can never have too much chrome ...

Pretty Transformer! Chrome-transformer

Guess what I used ... come on ... guess!

Well - given the roll of plumbers shiny duct tape - I'd assume thats what you'd used?

The only danger is the heat of the transformer may cause issues with the adhesion.

There are also chrome metal leaf materials (like they use for gold gilding - but in chrome) - but they usually come in sheets - not rolls.

David
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

Pretty Transformer! Empty Shinny transformer

Post by DynakitParts Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:15 pm

Looks nice...
    Does that emblem represent the star of Ishtar?

Kevin
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:29 pm

DynakitParts wrote:
    Looks nice...
    Does that emblem represent the star of Ishtar?
    Kevin

Nah ... more like the Star of Yamaha ... three road ninjas bearing gifts from afar were said to have followed it into a participating dealership ... and then I bought it on closeout. I'll probably lose it eventually. especially if I come across a nice Star of Ishtar!

The tape is rated to 600F ... just how hot do these transformers run?? My only concern was heat dissipation, but I don't expect it'd be any worse than a standard paint job. I like the way you can just rub it into the surface. Long as you're careful putting it on, any little ripples or crinkles can be flattened nicely. Even if the glue were to fail, it's a tight fit, and I'd expect the foil to stay in place.

Stuff's real handy for all sorts of little projects around the house. Someday I expect I'll even use it on ductwork. Cool

PS ... those stacks aren't all that easy to clean, are they? I played around with sandpaper, buffing pads, wool, etc and finally ended up using a safety razor blade edge on. That did a nice job of cleaning the tops of the plates, and just scraping the corner of the blade in the grooves made for a nice effect. I may end up peeling the tape and sealing the bare metal with a rust preventative. Either way should get some nice reflections off the tubes.

Sprags

Post by Sprags Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 pm

How about wrapping the transformers in that cloth tape so popular on the retro harley bobbers?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:22 pm

The tape is rated to 600F ... just how hot do these transformers run??
    about 601 degrees ...
    TorontoDave

Post by TorontoDave Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:24 pm

Bob Latino wrote:

about 601 degrees ...

But only in the summer if your playing pink floyd?

sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:41 pm

Porcupine Tree would probably take it up to around 800F. True masters of the "wall of sound". Every time you think that's as far as it goes, they add another layer, bumping it up a notch or two.

I'll bet all their amps go up to at least 11 ...

Haven't figured out what I want to do with the covers yet ... Got a can of this stuff a while back, and haven't figured out what to do with it either ...

Pretty Transformer! Big_effex_clear

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/effex/

Hmmmmm ...
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:14 pm

I'm not sure I see the advantage to putting a thermal insulator around the transformer laminations, all things considered.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:33 pm

The metal tape isn't about insulation - it's more of an infiltration kinda thing. It's actually quite thin - that's what allows it to mold itself to the surface as well as it does. I wouldn't think it'd hold any more heat than a coat of paint, and might even help reflect heat from the tubes.

Or not ... one way to find out.

Maybe get one more item to add to the great steaming pile of myth and myth-stakes regarding transformer painting. I've seen everything from pitched battles about EM proof paint to eddy currents caused by sealing the stacks and changing the "flavor" of the sound.

I'm still thinking of peeling the foil off and just leave em naked though. Cleaned up quite nice without the bling. Any suggestions on rustproofing the stack? I was thinking something like this ...

Pretty Transformer! Autogeek_2257_53684711
    DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:41 pm

sKiZo wrote:The metal tape isn't about insulation - it's more of an infiltration kinda thing. It's actually quite thin - that's what allows it to mold itself to the surface as well as it does. I wouldn't think it'd hold any more heat than a coat of paint, and might even help reflect heat from the tubes.

The adhesive on the back of the tape is the insulation, not the metal. You'd be better off building a heat "dam" with the metal tape forming a wall between the tubes and the transformers.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:08 am

Just to prove I had a fallback position ... presto chango, and we're naked again ...

Pretty Transformer! Naked-xformer

Don't think I had to worry about the tape falling off. Getting it started was a PITA, but once I got an edge lifted, careful and slow got it all off fairly easily. If anything, it did a nice job of deep cleaning the bare metal - lotsa black stuff stuck to the tape on the way off. I do have my doubts as to whether it would have come off as easy and clean if it had a chance to bake on for a while though.

Kinda like the looks as is - the caps even have a real decent finish from the factory. Like anything else, once it gets buried behind a bunch of other stuff, it'll look even better.

Then again, we got three more days of rain coming, so plenty of time to play. Smile

The adhesive on the back of the tape is the insulation, not the metal.

I think I see where maybe some of the confusion is coming in. There's two types of metal duct tape. One has a fairly thick insulating layer, one doesn't. The adhesive layer on this stuff isn't much thicker than what you'd get with scotch packing tape. As you can see, it's paper thin once you remove the backing. It doesn't insulate the ductwork - just makes it airtight.

DarthBubba

Post by DarthBubba Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:40 am

sKiZo wrote:The adhesive on the back of the tape is the insulation, not the metal.

I think I see where maybe some of the confusion is coming in. There's two types of metal duct tape. One has a fairly thick insulating layer, one doesn't. The adhesive layer on this stuff isn't much thicker than what you'd get with scotch packing tape. As you can see, it's paper thin once you remove the backing. It doesn't insulate the ductwork - just makes it airtight.

No confusion here; I meant the actual gluey stuff on the back of the metal facing, not any insulation that may have been included. The gluey stuff is not a good thermal conductor. It's not a great thermal insulator either, but it's still retaining some of the trafo's heat. For all we know the metal facing on the inside of the tape may have been reflecting some of the heat back into the trafo too, as it wasn't making direct metal-to-metal contact with the laminations. I think you were wise to remove it. I installed finned heat sinks on my Dyna ST-70 power transformer once. They were ugly as sin and helped only a little. I finally found an aftermarket, or later version of the transformer that was noticeably taller than the original. It ran a good bit cooler.

Okay, gotta go, it's bedtime... Sleep
    bcinnamon
    bcinnamon

Post by bcinnamon Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:15 am

The tape will significantly insulate the transformer by reducing radiated heat. Silvered surfaces have a very low emissivity. If you have a black surface and a silvered surface at the same temperature, the black surface will radiate more heat (if you put your hand nearby it will feel warmer). That is why they make shiny silver coffee pots and shiny silver duct tape.

If you put silvered tape on the transformer, the silver surface will insulate the transformer and increase its operating temperature. The thin glue layer would have a minor effect. The black painted transformer will run coolest. Keeping the top black will help a lot, since most of the heat will radiate upwards. It would actually be good to silver the side pointing to the hot tubes; since the tubes are hotter than the transformer, the silvered sides would insulate the transformer from getting heated by the tubes. However, I've been too many years out of school to remember how to calculate the temperature differences. A guess would be in the range of 20-40 degrees.

Post by Guest Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:56 am

Bob Latino wrote:

about 601 degrees ...

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 10:36 am