The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

SCA-35 project

Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

SCA-35 project Empty SCA-35 project

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:56 pm

I'm moving this thread here to the main body of the forum
    Kevin at DynaKitParts will be offering a new repro chassis and of course the transformers and some PCBs.
    Here is his first post:

HI,
    Looking to purchase a bare Dynaco SCA-35 chassis...no transformers, controls etc.

Faceplate not required...just the complete sheet metal assembly consisting of base
    panel, front & rear panel, top & bottom cover. Prefer undamaged, not bent or modified
    unit. Cosmetics not important (except as noted) such as the paint, plating or silk-screening.

You know...I would consider a trade of parts for this SCA-35 chassis.

Charlie...Please don't tell anyone...I'm working on a new SCA-35 amplifier that I
    expect will be available by July 2013.

Thanks guys..

Kevin

Kevin @ Dynakit
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

SCA-35 project Empty Re: SCA-35 project

Post by Roy Mottram Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:15 pm

due to popular request, I'll be offering upgrade boards for the SCA-35.
    PM or email me for requests, as for now I'll have a version of my PH6 and PH10 phono modules that will drop-in where the original PC11 board was.
    If some people would prefer a 12DW7 (combo of 12AX7 and 12AU7 in one tube) instead of a 7199 driver tube for the PC13 board,
    I've also got those modules. Also assembled SCA-35 Cap boards with the EFB (Enhanced Fixed Bias).
    denny9167
    denny9167

Post by denny9167 Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:22 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:I'm moving this thread here to the main body of the forum
    Kevin at DynaKitParts will be offering a new repro chassis and of course the transformers and some PCBs.
    Here is his first post:

HI,
    Looking to purchase a bare Dynaco SCA-35 chassis...no transformers, controls etc.

Faceplate not required...just the complete sheet metal assembly consisting of base
    panel, front & rear panel, top & bottom cover. Prefer undamaged, not bent or modified
    unit. Cosmetics not important (except as noted) such as the paint, plating or silk-screening.

You know...I would consider a trade of parts for this SCA-35 chassis.

Charlie...Please don't tell anyone...I'm working on a new SCA-35 amplifier that I
    expect will be available by July 2013.

Thanks guys..

Kevin

Kevin @ Dynakit

This is good news, since these amps are becoming more and more scarce on eBay .
    sailor

Post by sailor Tue May 14, 2013 5:54 pm

I know you are looking for just the chassis but if someone is looking for a very very clean, factory built, early version with American transformers let me know. $400.00 not cheap but it is super clean leave me a message for more details.
    Below is just a suggestion.
    This part is for [tubes 4 HIFI], I have figured out how you can find enough room to install a set of replacement boards using a similar circuit to the one you have for the Stereo 70. It would require changing the shared 12au7 to a sub miniature 6111. It is a medium mu high quality tube similar to a 12au7 but about one eight the size and solders in place. They are cheap [about $8], very reliable,great sounding and I think the NOS has tons of them. They were originally built for the military. It is small enough to be fitted on the boards or mounted on a small third board on edge between the driver boards and the preamp board, or above the driver boards or mounted on the forward bulkhead. The phase splitters would stay 12au7s and mount about where the 7199 mounted on the old boards. I already have all the parts laying around the house to design and build it myself but just ran out of time and drive to do so.
    http://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/079/6/6111.pdf
    http://www.tubesandmore.com/search/node/6111
    sailor

Post by sailor Tue May 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Go to the bottom of the page of the link below and see 2 pictures of my amp.I have more pictures.
    https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t1333-improving-my-sca-35
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu May 16, 2013 1:15 am

interesting idea SAILOR, thanks!
    OK - I finally got an SCA35 chassis so I can see exactly how everything fits together,
    and I've got new driver boards designed (12DW7 driving the two EL84s) and new phono boards (based on my PH6 and PH10 boards).
    I should have some kits ready around the first of June after I finish my move.

Last edited by tubes4hifi on Thu May 16, 2013 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sailor

Post by sailor Thu May 16, 2013 11:16 am

I took another look at my SCA35. I would replace the 2 driver output boards with a single board. This would allow the 6111 to be mounted close to the edge of the board in the center between the 2 channels. It would also give a little more room for the required extra parts. The required electrolytic caps you use can be replaced with new caps I found at Mouser. For example,the 100uF/ 400 volt has a width of only 12.5mm or a half inch wide and almost 2 inches tall. Again just a suggestion.

http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/293/e-cs_pz-430.pdf
    http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Nichicon/UPZ2G101MNY9/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMtZ1n0r9vR22UeThg9Ucya3FLs59NqNB%252bU%3d
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu May 16, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm going to stick with the (semi-)original scheme for now.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Thu May 16, 2013 8:55 pm

When I built my version of the ST35 I included the EFB mod. I've been really happy with it. Have you looked at it?
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Fri May 17, 2013 11:27 am

yes, that's what I'm going to be using and recommending for all customers.
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Fri May 17, 2013 12:30 pm

corndog71 wrote:When I built my version of the ST35 I included the EFB mod. I've been really happy with it. Have you looked at it?

Does anyone have a PC board available for the ST35 EFB mod? I would like to add this to my amp, but would prefer using a PC board over a perfboard.

Best Regards,
    Charlie

Post by Guest Fri May 17, 2013 1:24 pm

Luddie, Dave Gillespie (EFB guy) has a site called Dave's Lab that has stuff for Dynaco ST35 and the SCA35, including what you're looking for.

http://www.tronola.com/html/daves_store.html

your captain
    Luddite
    Luddite

Post by Luddite Fri May 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Captain Coconut wrote:Luddie, Dave Gillespie (EFB guy) has a site called Dave's Lab that has stuff for Dynaco ST35 and the SCA35, including what you're looking for.

http://www.tronola.com/html/daves_store.html

your captain

Thanks, Oh Captain, my Captain! I wasn't aware that he was supplying boards now. Very intriguing!

Best Regards,
    Charlie
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Sat May 18, 2013 8:03 pm

yes, Dave Gillespie is selling bare PCBs from his web site, and if you need a kit or assembled I can do that for you.
    I buy the boards from him and buy the parts to stuff them.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:14 pm